Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 01:21:06 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Need advice: classic headliner with bows - listing material ?

Started by MChartier, February 20, 2012, 11:48:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MChartier

Hello all ! 

I am putting in a new headliner in a Cessna Aircraft (yes, I am an A&P and yes the material has burn certs) and we've decided to go with a "2 way stretch" UltraSeude 'like' material.

My question for those who have experience hanging headliners : What should I use for the listings ?

I am concerned that the 1" pre-cut cotton ribbon I was planning on using does NOT stretch like the headliner material and thus MIGHT promote wrinkles ?  Would I be advised to use a stretchy material similar or the same as the headliner for the listings ? 

Thanks  for any advice  !

Michael C

baileyuph

If you meet the challenges of patterning very accurately and sewing without gathering in seams, using precut listing materials that I have used for years, will work.  Experiment with stitch length for the materials you are using to achieve a seam that will flex some.

Too much stretch in your headlining materials is not desirable for achieving a nice tight job.  That is a limited comment not seeing the material you are using, but bulk due to materials for headliners should be respected.

Doyle

NDAV8R

Hey there Michael:
   I did an older Cessna 150 (Early 1960s) a while ago and I used ultrasuede with great results. I used just regular headliner listing that I believe I purchased from Pyramid Trim in Minneapolis.  I patterned off the old headliner sections carefully marking each adjoining piece. I trimmed the protruding listing wide by the hanging support hooks as I hung it.  I started with the center section and worked sideways, then forward sections, then rear sections. I cut the sections a little short both directions with the most stretch running forward to aft. The less stretch ran sideways in the plane. I carefully marked off the speaker holes and punched them with a leather punch.
  You'll do fine... I might have pictures in my archives, since I always take photos of all my projects for Documentations for backup for the FEDS. If I get a spare moment (not right now though...very busy), I can send them to you at your request.

NDAV8R
Strive for Perfection...Settle for Excellence!

MChartier

Doyle - Thanks.  I was extra careful and precise with patterning.  Good idea to play with stitch length  abit before preecding . Thanks !

Hello AV8R good to hear from you !

This is a 210 Centurion, just a bit bigger than the 150 :-)

This is the first headliner I've tried and I don' want to mess up !!!

BTW: I spoke with the guy in California you mentioned but we could not come to terms for the patterns.  In the end, I found a very talented french trimmer and spent 2 days in his shop developing seat foam and patterns shamelessly copied from photos of AirMod's Cessna seats !

I'll post fotos when it's finished.

Thanks for the advice guys !

Michael

stitcher_guy

If you're still exploring ideas for the headliner, have you considered making your own listings from the same material you are using for the liner? If it's thin like Ultrasuede, it should stretch fine as listing. Or, use a heavier cotton material, but cut reliefs in each run to make it more flexible. I've never done a plane headliner, but any bowtypes I do in cars, I've never had an issue using the standard listing material.