Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 11:18:55 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

An upholsterer in the news

Started by sofadoc, February 12, 2012, 08:06:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

This happened a few years ago. I remember seeing it on the news. Just stumbled up on it again:
http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-18563_162-3978764.html

The rock was eventually returned to Kentucky, and charges against the upholsterer were dropped.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Peppy

Quite the story. Only thing missing is how he 'picked up' an 8 ton boulder.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

baileyuph

Ho Ho Ho, wait until
Gene gets a hold of this story. ;)

Doyle

gene

February 13, 2012, 05:55:05 am #3 Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 06:14:58 am by gene
And now for the rest of the story:

This happened up the river a bit from where I live.

The article says that guy was "happy" and wanted to "share". Yea, right. And making a bit of money along the way never crossed his mind.

The Ohio River is a part of the state of Kentucky. Kentucky is actually a commonwealth and not a state. Facts are no longer taught in school so nobody cares.

The rock used to sit on the shore of the state of Ohio. The issue before the courts was "Is the shoreline of the Ohio River where it is now, today, or is it where it was in the 1800's when the Ohio River was designated to be a part of Kentucky?

Ohio law enforcement agencies drive theirs boats on the Ohio River all the time to enforce Ohio laws. No one seems to complain about that.

Here's the main issue: Ohio has higher taxes than Kentucky. Northern Kentucky has long been giving even more tax breaks to Ohio companies who relocate across the river to Northern Kentucky. Ohio has many times threatened to sue. For what, no one knows.But it makes politicians look like they are doing something.

So, Kentucky, with their unemployement and crime and such, puts a ton of energy and money into this rock issue. and Ohio, with similar problems, does the same. And we voters who will only get upset if our cable or satelite TV rates go up, are happy to believe that our elected politicians are working hard for our benefit!

I think American Indians saw some money to be had by claiming that this was a sacred rock and belonged to them and their ancestors. I don't think this got any traction.

If I remember this issue was resolved in the courts, or out of court, and it belongs to Kentucky. Last I heard it was still sitting in Plymouth with no one being willing to pay for it to be moved.

gene

DB: You know me too well, I think! LOL

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

I read that the technicality that Steve (the upholsterer) got off on, was the fact that several rocks in that area had carvings on them. So no one can definitively prove that the rock he pullled from the river is indeed the true "Indian Head Rock" that was designated as a historical landmark 100 years ago.

It's funny how politicians can talk out of both sides of their mouth when it comes to the economy, education, crime,etc. BUT A ROCK!! Now there's something they can rally around!

BTW: Looked like a Juki 562 to me.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

That issue was starting to make the politicians on both sides look like fools. I'm sure some political consultant came up with the idea of "Hey, we can't tell for sure if that is THE rock" just to get them off the hook..

I don't know anything about that guy being an upholsterer. I wonder if that issue got him any additional business?

I'm sure my Juki 562 could easily sit at the bottom of the river for a hundred years, wash off the carp poop and industrial pollutants, give it a bit of oiling, and just like the tin man in the Wiz, it would be clicking away like it was never missed.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!