Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 11:15:36 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Upholstering a tight seat on wingback

Started by gatsby989, February 10, 2012, 06:21:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gatsby989

Morning everyone,

So the horsehair I ordered arrived yesterday. I'm already afraid I didn't order nearly enough, given the size of the box. But anyway, I'm working on my wingback chair I posted pics of earlier. I tied the springs for the seat and covered them with burlap.

I've been keenly following Mike's videos. However, that chair is going to have a cushion. I would like my chair to have a tight seat.

So I'm wondering what the next step is... is it basically the same as doing the deck, except that instead of building up the front, you cover it evenly with cotton?

Here's my plan for the seat:
Add edge rolls to front and sides in front of the arm posts.
Add horse hair on top of burlap
Cover seat with muslin
Add a layer or two of cotton to seat
Cover with finish fabric

Sound about right? Am I missing anything? Of course I'll do the wings and arms also before putting the final cover fabric on.

MinUph

Pick the hair apart and don't forget to stitch it in. Long stitches through the hair and burlap. Use your hands to feel you made a smooth even pad. Add more hair to the center of the seat to give it a crown. Not look like a basket ball but a nice crown.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Joys Shop

Need to watch Kim Buckminster's videos on how to do a seat with horse hair

mike802

gatsby989:  You should add two layers of cotton over the horsehair before applying the muslin, on the second layer rip off enough so you can tuck a couple of inches under, just behind the edge roll and staple it down.  Apply your muslin and one additional layer of cotton between the muslin and final cover fabric.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

gatsby989

Thanks, everyone, you guys rock!

Mike802: Is there a video showing how you did the back of the chair? I think I've watched them all, but that part seems to be missing? Or am I just not finding it?

Thanks again!