Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 28, 2024, 04:32:11 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Jumping Into The Deep End

Started by Mojo, February 05, 2012, 05:25:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I have seemed to have carved a little niche for myself with my upholstery business . I focus strictly on RV's and nothing else. The vast majority of my work is slide toppers and awnings. The demand for solar screens seems to have diminished - either that or I have focused so much attention on marketing my slide toppers I have let the solar screens slide.

I was contacted over a year ago to put on an awning and slide topper seminar at a Monaco rally close to my home. I did it and it was very well received. I was then pestered constantly about attending the big National event in Indiana to again do a repeat performance of my seminar. I declined because of the distance and costs of attending and putting it on ( not to mention the time out of the shop ).

Because I am coming off my most successful year ever in this business I took the leap and accepted their invitation to attend and put on a seminar. I had the money set aside so thought why not. The entire trip is going to cost approximately $ 1,500 ( fuel for the bus, camping site, vendor booth, vendor event insurance, etc.) .

If I can place 3 full coach orders off this event then my investment will be paid for. I am looking at this trip as a way to 1.) book more orders for the summer 2.) Get my name out to all members of the association. I am doing this because I am in a very unique situation. While the vast majority of you draw your business from the locals, my orders come in from all over the country. There will be members from all 48 States at this event so I look at it as bringing my business to them. If I had to rely strictly on the local RV crowd I would have had to close my doors a long time ago.

I guess what I am looking for is HONEST input from all of you. Do you think that maybe all the drugs and chemo have destroyed what few brain cells I had left ? If given the opportunity and if you were in my shoes with the same set of business limitations would you consider something like this ?  I am just looking for others input here to see if I am on the right track or if I am missing something.

I am off chemo and feel like a million bucks and have all kinds of energy. I just wanted to use this time efficiently and to better my business.

What are your feelings ?

I should also mention that after this event I am making a much needed trip to Michigan to see my Mom, Son and Grandkids. On the way back to Florida I am stopping off at Bob Kovars to have him tune up both of my machines ( and to wrestle a free dinner out of the cheap old guy ). It will be a 3 week trip and part work / part vacation for me.

Thoughts anyone ?

Chris

gene

February 05, 2012, 06:43:01 am #1 Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 06:46:17 am by gene
Hey Chris,

1. It's good to hear that you feel like a million bucks.

2. It's good to hear that you are working to expand your business.

3. It's good to hear that you are asking around for input to help you make good decisions.

4. It sounds like you have a good handle on your physical abilities in regards to the drugs and chemo.

4. I can't believe you can take a 3 week vacation and spend only $1500.00. Wow!

5. I like the Serenity Prayer (even though I do not believe in God):

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Where ever you get it, from your own hard work, God, Voodoo, Astral Planes, this prayer is a great way to live.

I can't speak about drugs and chemo, but I will throw in the acronym for the word FEAR: False Expectations Appearing Real. How many people do not do something they love because of FEAR.

Is your show in Columbus, IN in May? That's not too far from me. I can brush up on my heckling skills and stop by.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mojo

Gene:

The show is at the fairgrounds in Goshen. How close are you to that location ?

Chris

gene

Chris,

Land of Goshen! I wonder how many times folks who live there have heard this one. LOL

I'm 5 hours away. Goshen is in the northern part of Indiana, close to Michigan.
I used to have a customer near Goshen, in Elkhard, IN., who was an Indian (from India) and he was a vegetarian. He would order a Big Mac from McDonalds without the meat.

Can you give me info on your presentation, or a web site? My wife and I will be going to the UP of Michigan sometime either in May or the Fall. If the timing works out, it'd be great to stop by.

I'd also like to see what you do. As I think about retirement "way" down the road, I've been thinking of Florida, and spending the hot afternoons sewing away in an air conditioned shop.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on February 05, 2012, 05:25:42 am
If given the opportunity and if you were in my shoes with the same set of business limitations would you consider something like this ?
Me? No. But I'm not YOU. I've slowed down the last few years just because of aching feet. I can't imagine battling chemo, and all that goes with it.

None of us know how long we have on this earth. It would be a shame to waste a minute of it. For me, working "balls to the wall" would be a waste of MY time left. But for you, just the opposite. I don't think you'll be happy unless you use your skills to the fullest.

Just try to stop and smell the flowers every now and then (OK, that sounded kinda gay, scratch that last line  :D) But really, take it easy every chance you get.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

I admit I have had a difficult time adjusting to retirement. I went bat sh*t crazy sitting around and being sick from this disease all the time. So I decided I might as well raise hell and be sick and try and have fun. My wife never thought it was a good idea to spend my days in a topless clubs so here I am stitching and bitching. ( funny how wives poo-poo these establishments ).

I just think I am to young to sit and rock and fart my life away. I was retired by my Oncology team when I was 42. They gave me 5 years max to live before this disease took me away. This was 13 years ago they told me that. They never once considered you do never tell a Marine he has a couple years left to live.  Everyone knows Marines don't die...........they just go to hell, regroup and come back for more.  ;D

Seriously, I have been this way since I was a kid. I was a workaholic and was never happy unless I was going flat out in life at 100 mph. I used to be brought in to consult to a business and my entire mission was to increase business for them. So I would create marketing plans, strategically look at their market and then find ways to boost their sales. I just seem unable to turn that switch off. You can take the guy out of marketing, but you cannot take the marketing out of a guy..........lol.

The big problem is that I create these marketing plans for myself and then get all this new business. I then head into the shop, look around and all I see are two lazy German Shepherds and a stupid cat. No workers to help me.

Oh well, I am having the time of my life and meeting all these different people from different walks of life has been awesome. June and I are alot alike as we both love meeting new people. Of course the more I know about people the more I love my dogs. :)

I think it would be awesome to find a young person who really has a deep passion for this business. Teach them the ropes and then give them the entire operation and walk away. Giving a career to someone who is down and out would be icing on the cake. Problem is trying to find a young-un who is motivated and passionate about this business. :)

The ultimate would be to find a woman who was in an abusive marriage and bringing them into this business and giving them a fresh start in life. Providing them the means to be able to take care of themselves for life while boosting their self esteem and making them feel good about themselves. I know I joke around and give the lady folk a ration of crap here, but I have a soft spot in my heart for women who were married to monsters and treated like punching bags. I have had women tell me about the horror's and constant fear they lived in being married to an asshat.

Oh well, life is good and if you do not believe me then try living without it. So I take it Gene your not going to meet me there and conduct this seminar for me ? I guess Dennis was right about you all along.  :)

Chris

mike802

Chris: I say go for it!  it's only $1.500 bucks, not that much really. You have little to lose and much to gain.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

TheHogRing

Go for it Mojo! You're clearly a hard worker who has had to deal with a lot - you deserve to live a little bit on the edge and try something new. Besides, taking time to see the family can be therapeutic as well.

You may just find that this 3 week adventure of yours re-energizes you so much that your business does better in 2012 than the year past. I say strap on your seat belt and hit the open road. In the greater scheme of things, what's 3 weeks and $1,500?

Best of luck!

Mike

February 06, 2012, 06:47:57 pm #8 Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 07:03:06 pm by Mike
id say it really only a question you can awnser do you really need more work? or do you need to take it easy a bit  if you are going up that way anyway it would benefit work, and it would be a write off right?
i say if you enjoy the work why not . as far as the solar screens are you not making any? aside from needed the topper i would think all owners would want the solar screen too i know i had made me some

Mike

Quote from: Mojo on February 06, 2012, 03:24:51 am
I think it would be awesome to find a young person who really has a deep passion for this business. Teach them the ropes and then give them the entire operation and walk away. Giving a career to someone who is down and out would be icing on the cake. Problem is trying to find a young-un who is motivated and passionate about this business. :)

this is what i had wished to do for my son , but he didnt have the wish passion or will.
had other ideas   so i just do what i have to now to get by  and take the afternoon off

Mojo

Mike:

Yes sir it will be wrote off on my taxes for sure. Every last stinking deduction I can legally muster.
I need every tax write off I can get because I typically end up writing a check to these greedy
leaches. :)

I have no idea why the Solar screens are not selling well. I believe it is because I focused my advertising literature on slide toppers and awnings. I have had several large solar screen jobs this year but it is nothing like last year. I have used up one and half full rolls of textilene 90 over the last 12 months so maybe I have done more then I remember. I am almost out so will have to order another roll. :(

In regards to this business, I believe anyone coming into it has to have somewhat of a passion for
sewing, patterning and making these types of things. If someone is half interested in this work they wont last.

Chris

Mike

Chbriss to order a by the rolls do you primalily do one color?

Mojo

I am having a run on two colors. One is a tweed and I booked three orders last week of this tweed. The standard color is dark beige which is the color of the OEM awnings and toppers. Those two I use a lot of but the beige I really go through that stuff.

I buy either 30 yard or 60 yard full rolls. I bought a 30 yd roll of the tweed and its gone. I had to order more. I am almost out of tan and will order a 60 yard roll of that as it is my best seller.

You get a price break buying in large lots but the reason why I buy like this is because I can save on shipping costs.

Chris