Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 10:24:07 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Ever Wonder How Leather is Priced?

Started by TheHogRing, February 01, 2012, 09:01:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHogRing

Most customers think that the more expensive a hide is, the better quality it is. We all know that's not true.

Garrett Leather posted a nice little Q&A about the factors that affect the cost of leather on their site. I printed it out and hung it in my shop for customers to read.

Check it out: http://tinyurl.com/77ccary

bobbin

Generally, I blow by the "Hog Ring ads", but clicked on this one because I have been asked for a quote for leather on an interior job.  I have to say, it was interesting to read the full Garrett article.  Thanks!

NDAV8R

February 03, 2012, 09:55:53 pm #2 Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 10:01:21 pm by NDAV8R
Pretty good article, indeed.  But I would love to hear the excuses for Aviation leather to cost up to 400% higher (just for the Burn Certs) than your average leather hides.  It only costs about $40 to get a Burn Certificate, but very few end users in the aviation spector, goes through the bother. And the Burn Certification continues in all the foams, carpets, headliners, backing materials, some ahesives, vinyls, and cloths.
  The markup is very slim to none in aviation supplies to get a sell.  It up comes down to it, when I tell a Lear Jet owner the price of materials, most of the time he swallows hard without showing and tells me to do it. Some do bark.  You know it's like a Lexus, Porsche, Hummer, or Mercedes owner complaining about the gas mileage.

Gale.
Strive for Perfection...Settle for Excellence!