Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 07:20:44 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Aft cover pins

Started by gscmarine, January 06, 2012, 05:14:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gscmarine

Happy new year everyone.I have a cockpit cover to make for a customer and was thinking about using the pins to fasten the bottom of the cover to the rubrail.having never used these before how does it work?Do you drill holes into the rubrail?A lot of high end sport fishing boats use these for cockpitshades?Thanks.
Geoff

Mike

I have seen them done beforee a hole is drilled were s screw would be I think and them a pin through a gromett holds it on I dint know err you can get theese per aps June may know.  With all the high dollar Boston on her side. 

gscmarine

Manart Hirsch has them.I figured that they would go into screw holes,just sealing a wood rubrail from a larger hole being drilled would seem to be a pain.

JuneC

Actually, I've never seen them used on any boat over here.  Wonder why?

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

They devised this method on sport fishing boats so there is no fastner for a fishing line to catch on.

CreativeCanvas

Yes you remove a few of the screws and drill 1/4" holes. Instead of the pins I use 1/4" SS screw eyes with the threads sawed off. Sew a vinyl reinforcement about 4"w x 8"h where your pins go through. Set a grommet where the pin goes through your facing & another 'bout 6" above in your reinforcement.  Then use a piece of shock cord long/short? enough to connect the two & put a lil tension on the cover. This will pull out wrinkles and keep the pin(s) from falling out. If possible I prefer to track em at the top but if that isn't feasible c/s fasteners work okay too.

I've done several of these out on Boca Grande & there's good money in them. See if I can find a pic.

Doug

Darren Henry

I'd really appreciate any pics of the pins or how to use them. I don't do many boats since I moved back to the prairies, but I haven't seen those up here yet.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

CreativeCanvas

Sorry, best pic I could find. You can see it in the background. Added the transom cover later. As you can see I ran the reinforcement the entire width on this one. Decided that was a waste of vinyl so newer versions just have reinforcement around the grommets.

http://s918.photobucket.com/albums/ad24/71V153/?action=view&current=DSCI0026.jpg

CreativeCanvas

Pin pic:

http://s918.photobucket.com/albums/ad24/71V153/?action=view&current=TensionPin.jpg

But like I said you can make your own out of screw eyes for 1/3 the cost

Darren Henry

Oh you mean those.

I've only ever used them on frames. Swap out the set screw from the deck hinge kinda thing.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

CreativeCanvas

Yup, same pin. Make em in 3/16" too. And in different lengths.

CreativeCanvas

Here's a better pic of a curtain. Did this one several years ago. Considering it faces due west, and it's captain has a bleach fetish, it's holding up okay. You can see why I prefer to track em at the top, but in this application it wasn't possible. Hence the wrinkles. This one is kinda unique cuz of the side wings.

Doug

http://s918.photobucket.com/albums/ad24/71V153/?action=view&current=VikingAftCurtain.jpg