Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 07:20:53 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Ultraleather quality

Started by Jasmin, January 07, 2012, 12:41:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasmin

Hello everyone,

Is there a difference in Ultraleather qulaity? Is the source, one? The reason I ask is that there seems to be a large difference in price North America wide.

Here in Canada wholesale is $94-$99. Retail is $225.  I have used this product with success.

Eastern US  area , I can buy 15-20 yards for $56/yard and $60 for shipping. But is it going to last, or wear prematurely. The samples I received from Eastern US, the material seems thinner...but it is hard to say from this sample. It comes from a company with three stores online (all eastern area) and so should be reputable.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Rich

Try doing a search for Ultraleather on this forum, I think wearability's been discussed.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Mike

Havnt had anyone want to spend the money using it.
I did redo a Solon sette in a carver this summer.
It was done in ultraleatger and all worn out the dinette was already redone  in a sim Colored vinyl
with I matched in vinyl alsomthr ultraleather didn't wear well at all. 

Steve at Silverstone Fabrics

Jasmin, As far I know all Ultrafabric (FYI: Ultraleather 291 is a specific pattern name) products are made in Japan and are of the same quality.

We purchase and process Ultrafabrics from several different furniture manufacturers and I have not noticed any difference.

Take a look at some of our Ultraleather in our we have in our store .....go to the Suppliers page and click on Retro Modern Contract Fabrics. Our 1st quality Ultraleather's sell for $18/yd.

See the "About Us Page" and that will explain about who we are and how we sell what we sell at the price we sell it at.

Steve Terry

JuneC

I've done a couple of yacht interiors in Ultraleather and was very impressed with the ease of fabrication.  It's really nice stuff.  In both cases, the boats were Formulas and they use Ultrafabrics Ultraleather as their OEM fabric.  The ones I repaired/replaced were damaged - one by water (and lots of it) and the other by rats.  I'd be wary of a knockoff.  In my limited experience, it wears very well.  Note: Ultrasuede is NOT made by the same company as Ultraleather, though it appears they've tried to coordinate the colors to match.  Real ultrasuede is by Toray. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

perhaps the interior i had, had used a knock off it was vewry soft but the vinly was wearing off from sliding in the seat.   ive never had anyone want to spend the doe on new so ive never order any.

stitcher_guy

I've noticed the same things as Mike. Not many customers want to shell out the money for it, but a few that have, while it looks great and is very easy to sew, it knicks and wears pretty bad. It's great for high-end, not driven much vehicles, or a show car that's only parked on the lawn. But slide in and out every day, there are much better, just as nice products to use.

I figured up, and at the $110 retail price I spend to buy Ultraleather, pricewise, it is a direct swapover to using real leather (average hide yielding 3.5 usable yards of leather).

JuneC

I'd have to agree with Russ that it would never stand up for auto use.  On the boats I've seen, it's fine.  But I'd never put it in a vehicle for the reasons Russ states. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields