Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 06:22:30 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Juki 1541

Started by RandyOnR3, January 05, 2012, 06:07:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RandyOnR3

The beast came in today, took half the day to assemble it .. table , motor and such, and at first I was thinking "what a pain" in threading it but after running a few seams, I realized that there is fantastic control over the tension and running from two layers to eight and then ten of sunbrella, the tension stays the same..
    got a question thou, unlike my 1181, this machine has no oil pan but has a drip pan..
    Got a issue with getting my fat hands under the machine to swap out a bobbin, and unlike my 1181, its not so easy to tilt forward to change bobbins due to the knee lift attached to the underside..
    so I'm wondering, can I get rid if the pan or will I find oil dumping down my leg or has anyone modified the pan to get into the end easier for a bobbin swap...

bobbin

Randy, if you're not used to horizontal axis bobbins they are fiddley to change at first.  Give yourself some time to "get the hang of it".  You'll develop the magic touch.  I wouldn't remove the oil drip pan, you will end up with oil dripping onto the treadle and the floor. 

It's a really nice machine and I know what you mean about the tensioning.  It really does give you a very nice, precise adjustment. 

Mojo

Like Bobbin said, give it time.

I have a horizontal and a top load and love the horizontal. I can change out a bobbin in seconds without looking and I have big ham hands. I do it all by feel. I am not a fan of top loaders at all.
Obviously there is nothing wrong with them, I personally do not like them.

Do not remove the oil pan. You will end up with oil all over the treadle and floor. Especially if your a big oiler like I am. :)

Chris

RocketmanMH1

Seems to me I remember Gregg saying something about modification to the oil catch pan for better  removal of the bobbin.  I'm sure he'll chime in on the issue.  By the way, he has a good deal on a 1541 listed on e-bay right now, If anyone is looking.

sofadoc

I'll bet you could notch out a small section of the oil pan just below the bobbin. Just enough for your fat fingers :)
Doesn't the knee lift have a "quick disconnect"?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

RandyOnR3

the knee does but its a pain to take it off......
kinda figured it out today.. cut the pan in half so only the rear is attached.. the forward end where the bobbin sits now has a denim skirt draped across the area much like the pan, stapled on both sides..  if it works to keep the oil from dripping I'll put in a couple snaps on the underside of the table and every so often, discard the old and make a new.. just a piece of cloth with 4 snaps..
  works now and access to the bobbin is easy and painless by just pushing the cloth inward a bit..