Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 03:22:35 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Glue gun

Started by RocketmanMH1, November 21, 2011, 08:31:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RocketmanMH1

Just wanted to see your glue guns(pics pics pics ) and see if any pros and cons of each type will be voiced.

RocketmanMH1

I really meant to say  Spray guns used for glue!!

sofadoc

I use this one:
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Upholstery_Tools/Glue_Guns/K-Spray_Glue_System/index.html

PRO: I don't have to clean the nozzle after each use.
         I bought a case of Mason Jars at the grocery store. Instead of 
         cleaning the jar periodically, I just replace it.
         Replacement parts are readily available (never needed any).

CON: Hard to say without comparing it to other types.
         Probably not the first choice of auto guys doing headliners, vinyl tops,
         etc.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

I may glue something once a year so I just use a rattle can of glue - 3M - 77.

If I did more gluing I would probably use a glue gun similar to what Dennis uses.

Chris

MinUph

I've used the K-Glue gun for many years. K Glue itself is the best for foam and fabric use that I've found. I wish I could find the glue locally.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

RocketmanMH1

Thanks guys for the info, but I'm a bit disappointed.  I wanted to see all those guns with an inch of spillage on the sides.  I use a binks 7 copy but its a pita, I guess I need to break down and spend the money for a  critter.

Thanks, Mike

JuneC

They're easy to clean, Mike.  I bought a 1-gallon empty paint can from Home Depot with the lid, filled it about 3/4 full with mineral spirits, then after gluing, just drop the whole glue pot into the mineral spirits.  The glue gun's air intake doesn't fit completely in, but that part's not gooped up anyway.  I cover the whole can with a couple of plastic grocery bags to help slow down evaporation and let it sit overnight.  In the morning, the glue pot looks like new!  Cover the can of mineral spirits with the metal lid that came with the can and keep till next time.   You can use it maybe 6 or 8 times before you have to get rid of it.   Less glue residue = more uses, of course.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

RocketmanMH1

Thanks for your reply June, Do you use a binks copy also or do you use another style.
Your cleaning method is the same as mine from years ago, I am an old paint and body guy from way back.  This gun is a new cheapo from Keyston bros. and it cost about twice as much as it should, but it is still a POS!!!! >:(.   I've had nothing but problems with it since the first cup of glue was shot through it.

Thanks, Mike