Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 02:24:11 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

portable air compressor.

Started by kodydog, December 09, 2011, 05:28:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

I particularly loathe the noise of the compressor.  It is loud, but in my case it's on the ground floor of the barn and that muffles it somewhat.  There has also been some discussion about getting a larger tank and putting the whole shebang inside a "soundproof booth". 

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on December 10, 2011, 05:12:02 am
I particularly loathe the noise of the compressor.  It is loud, but in my case it's on the ground floor of the barn and that muffles it somewhat.  There has also been some discussion about getting a larger tank and putting the whole shebang inside a "soundproof booth". 
My shop compressor is 2 large rooms away (over 75 ft.). I have a remote on/off switch hanging from a light above my desk. I ran the hose above my drop-ceiling in to my work area. I couldn't even tell you when it comes on.
I miss the old belt-driven ones. They were a lot quieter. But then, I always had the fear that I'd forget to turn it off at night, and the belt would come off, and it would run all night.

Bobbin: I bet you would be surprised at how seldom a 25-30 gal. AC would come on during an 8 hr. work day.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

Many moons ago now I worked in a very small garment factory.  All the overlock machines were set up to trim the threads automatically.  The trimmers were run pneumatically with the assistance of vacuum to pull the threads back and down to the the knives.  It was an unbelievable time saver (about 30% time, actually per piece!).  The compressor was located in its own room in the cellar.  As I recall, there was the actual compressor and there was a large tank, too.  The compressor was fired up in the AM and it ran until the tank was filled.  It would fire periodically over the course of the day as machines drew the reserves down enough to trigger a reload. 

I don't fully have a "handle" on how compressors work, but my brother does (lots of auto body experience, painting in particular).  He suggested the addition of PVC piping to my workroom with quick connects at various sites along the run.  He also suggested adding a tank to further minimize the on/off of the small compressor.  In exchange for custom draperies he has committed to assist me. 

I've always used an electric stapler, and the move to a pneumatic one was a quantum leap forward for me!  It's light, easy to handle, and just light years ahead of the electric one.  I want to explore the world of spray painting, too!  You guys have created a montster, you know. 

CreativeCanvas

We don't use it a whole lot, and this'll probly jinx me. But the lil pancake compressor that came with the business is still clattering away. Sounds like it's full of marbles but keeps on pumping up. It's at least 10 yrs old. Looked for lubrication points but can't seem to find any. I do clean the intake filter and drain the condensation from the tank regularly? Got a similar, newer Campbell/Hausfield at the house as backup if needed.

No reason not to plumb with pvc, just remember to use cleaner, primer & plenty of glue on your joints and allow enough dry time. Watched my neighbor plumb a line one day. No cleaner, no primer, sloppy glue job. He waited maybe 5 minutes then fired up the compressor. I tried to tell him what was gonna happen but he wasn't listening. Sure enough just as soon as the compressor pumped up & shut off. BOOM! Pffffft ...

gene

I read a lot of stuff about running compressed air pipe awhile back. I liked this article.

http://www.exair.com/en-US/Primary%20Navigation/Knowledge%20Base/Air%20Data/Pages/CompressedAirPiping.aspx

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mojo

I have another Porter Cable compressor that has a 20 gal tank with wheels. This is my main compressor and is an oil filled compressor. This compressor runs very quiet and because of the large tank it will fill and I can do a large amount of stapling before it turns back on again. I appreciate its quiet operation versus the pancake compressor which will drive you nucking futs. :)

I have the pancake compressor mounted inside the basement of my coach and it is connected to an automated hose reel. If I need a portable compressor I simply disconnect the hose and take it out and to where ever I need it.

I need to get both shops plumbed for air lines. I am going to be moving my large compressor to the garage storage addition I built last summer and then plumb it back to the woodshop and the upholstery shop using PVC pipes and separate regulators & moisture traps. I want to put in several connection points in different areas. In the upholstery shop I just plan on installing one regulator, one moisture trap and one connection point with a coil hose.

I haven't a clue as to when I will be able to do that as I am so busy right now I have no time for anything but sewing.
I am way behind on my project list around the house. :)

Chris

OddBall13

Hey I saw someone talk about a co2 conversion from home depot.  I have been running a co2 tank for the past couple of year its a big tank I get refilled at a welding place here in town.  I used a old military surplus regulator that was in my dads garage.

sofadoc

Quote from: OddBall13 on December 11, 2011, 07:55:21 am
Hey I saw someone talk about a co2 conversion from home depot.  I have been running a co2 tank for the past couple of year its a big tank I get refilled at a welding place here in town.  I used a old military surplus regulator that was in my dads garage.

I tried the little Co2 cylinders with the regulator that you attach to your belt around your waist. It came from Lowe's. Nice rig. Shot staples great. But I didn't get enough shots per cylinder to justify the cost.
How many shots do you get from a big tank? What does it cost to fill the tank? Of course, PORTABLE was the operative word in this topic. If you have to haul a big tank around, might as well take a big air compressor.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Allan

Kody

Buy the biggest one you can afford
Air tools take a lot of air to run
You want a unit with quick recovery otherwise you will be standing around waiting for the compressor to catch up

Allan

OddBall13

December 11, 2011, 02:46:47 pm #24 Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 02:48:07 pm by OddBall13
the co2 tank I use is 7 inch diameter and about 23 inches tall weighs about 10 or 15 lbs.  right now it is holding 700 psi and I have http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-lb-CO2-Tank-Steel-Cylinder-Homebrew-Fresh-Hydro-/280771187067?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415f44517b  This is close to mine.  I think when I filled it it was 1800 psi.  I havn't used it much but have had it for 3 years with out refilling it  i think its only 20 or 25 bucks to fill it and you can rent tanks for like 5 bucks with no return date.  It would be great if you don't have power at a job sight.  hope this helps

kodydog

December 11, 2011, 03:56:26 pm #25 Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 05:54:41 pm by kodydog
I ended up lugging my 25 gal compressor to the job (4 dinning seats). Couldn't make up my mind that fast. But I still need a portable one for a restaurant in St Augustine were working on soon. Gonna be burning some midnight oil on that one. I'll have between 2:00 am (when they close) and 5:00 pm (when they open) to get a banquette done.

I like the looks of that twin tank Hammer has. Light weight aluminum. $150 on internet.

Allen your right about size matters. Mojo and Bobbins 6 gal pancake looks good too. $150 at Lowes

The whole co2 thing is interesting but can't imagine ever working some where with out power.

Thanks all.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html