Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 12:19:45 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

"Fresh Thread"

Started by Jim101, December 02, 2011, 06:54:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim101

December 02, 2011, 06:54:18 pm Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 07:08:53 pm by Jim101
I've read some of the info about threads from the various suppliers and occasionally I'll see a reference to "Fresh Thread."

Now, I don't store thread in direct sunlight, near heat or anywhere where stuff, (beer), can get spilled on it.

Some of the spools of thread I have in the shop have been around a while.  Some for years and others several months.  

I mostly use Poly 138 / 92 or Nylon 69 threads and always use new thread when working on marine canvas.

My question is:  What is categorized as "Fresh Thread" and what should be considered stale, outdated or beyond its freshness date?

Your thoughts on this topic are eagerly awaited.

Jim

Peppy

There are times when it is possible to worry too much.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Jim101

December 02, 2011, 09:53:42 pm #2 Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 09:56:04 pm by Jim101
... And where are my keys!? :o

bobbin

I can see the importance of fresh thread when dealing with natural fibres (cotton, silk, etc.) because they will rot and lose strength over time.  But the synthetics are so good now I would have a hard time believing they'd degrade readily unless foolishly stored. 

I have some cones of 100% polyester (#40, I think) for my serger that are old but they are still delivering good performance and have shown no signs of giving up the ghost.  Setting up  my overlock with the safety stitch requires 5 cones of thread and is not inexpensive when it's time add a color to the offering... the cones were really big ones and I've had some of them for 25 yrs. now.  I will also use the thread on my blindstitch machine, for side hems on drapery work.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: Peppy on December 02, 2011, 08:29:18 pm
There are times when it is possible to worry too much.

For some reason I found this quote more funny than I probally should have, LOL.  The fact is if you call five different thread suppliers, you probably going to get five different answers, and you will likely be more confused than when you started.

gene

I use a lot of mono-filament thread. I've had three companies tell me the horrors of using mono-filament thread. They then have no problem selling me the stuff.

Every time I hear someone talk about a horror movie I think of Jane Fonda.

I have always thought that they don't like to sell mono because they make so much more profit on poly and nylon.

I have since learned that mono can be nasty on plastic parts and cheap metal parts of your sewing machine.

"Fresh thread" does sound like a marketing ploy.

fresh gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mojo

I keep all my thread wrapped inside plastic bags when not in use. Never had a problem with thread getting to old.

Chris