Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 02:20:08 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Master in Upholstery How do you know? Bad day with a bad job.

Started by Ihavenoname, November 27, 2011, 12:43:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

I think that's a great idea.  In all my years doing tailoring and alteration work I've always found that an educated customer is generally a repeat customer.  And this likely holds true in upholstery, too.

Usually the "first timers" (and particularly younger customers) don't really understand how to assess fit in a garment.  I have learned over time that spending some time to explain what I look for and how the work will be done gives them some "ammo" when they're out poring over the super sale racks, looking for "bargains".  It becomes easier for them to make decisions on whether or not the item is worth having altered. 

It's the same thing with upholstered furniture, some is worth redoing, some is better suited for the dump.  I recently relined 4 drapery panels; face fabric was fine, lining was in tatters.  It was worth having them relined and they look brand new.  But I made the time to fully explain how I was going to do it and how much time it was going to take.  And educated customer is able to make a wise choice!  And they remember the time you spend with them explaining the process. 

kodydog

Quote from: alge on November 28, 2011, 02:12:48 pm

why dont you guys and ladies set up a self regulating trade body like the ones we have here in the uk? I appreciate its a blooming huge country your side of the pond but there must be a way to do it and the internet will help. This forum alone shows how communication is easier in 2011.

Alex

Its a great idea Alex but I think your preaching to the choir. Most of the folks on this forum already self regulate and build quality products and give great service. I think if a legitimate self regulating body were to form in the U.S. most of the people here would jump at the chance to join.

Back in the early 90's there was a upholstery magazine. When you joined they would send a certificate stating you were a member. Another upholsterer in town would put a small copy of this certificate in the corner of his yellow pages ad. The certificate was worthless, anyone could join, no regulations and no enforcements.

This idea intrigues me so here are a few questions

What are some of the organizations you belong to?

What did you have to do to enter?

What does the organization do to inform the public about the members and the service they provide?

And lastly does this help to cut down on upholstery businesses that do shoddy work.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html