Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 12, 2024, 06:33:09 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Max thread size for a Juki 1541S?

Started by cbx, November 21, 2011, 08:17:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cbx

Another newbie question.  I searched here but no luck...   I am working on a small leather upholstery project and would like to use the largest thread I can, so the seam really stands out.  What is the largest thread size that works on a Juki 1541S?  I understand that I will check if the needle slides freely on the thread so not to cause problems.  Would there be any difference in using polyester or nylon thread if I do not need the strength, antiwick or UV blocker characteristics?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and recommendations.

Andy

bobbin

Andy, I have a 1541 and I used 138 when I made the awnings for my shop.  I had to play with the tension a little bit (esp. the bobbin case) but once it was adjusted correctly it handled the thread without issue.  I used a size 20 needle because I didn't want big holes.  In your case, stitching leather, I'd make sure I purchased appropriately sized wedge point needles. 

Also, I bought an extra bobbin case and now use one for 138 thread exclusively. 

sofadoc

I have a LU-1508, which I believe the only difference between mine and the 1541 is top load instead of bottom load.
I am able to sew up to 207 thread with a 23 needle.
You should be able to use nylon or polyester.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

I use 138 on both my Juki and Chandler. I have never sewn with 207 but I know others who do and have reported no problems.

In regards to thread, I use Sunguard 138 Poly on everything. The price difference between that and regular Poly is very small. I do use Solarfix ( Tenara ) on all of my awnings and solar screens. Solarfix is ultra expensive ( big time ).

I have no experience with nylon thread so cannot be of much help. But Dennis, Gene and Kody do a lot of sewing with different threads as does Bobbin. They are a better source then me when it comes to non poly threads.

Chris

cbx

Thank you all for the recommendations and have a great Thanksgiving!!

cbx

I forgot to ask, any supplier recommendations for the 207 thread and size 23 needle?

Thanks, Andy

sofadoc

Here's an E-bay store that has a good assortment of 207 thread colors, and sells small spools:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-207-T-210-Canvas-Leather-Saddle-Threads-COLORS-/200605039832?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item746b7bbbe3

There are several E-bay stores that sell small quanities of needles, such as Sharp sewing supplies.

If you're opposed to E-bay, www.keysew.com has the needles (not sure about thread). While you're on the phone, ask Gregg about the max needle/thread size.

I get my thread off a local delivery truck, so I'm not sure what your local situation is.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban