Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 08, 2024, 09:31:20 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Estmating yardage

Started by bobbin, November 07, 2011, 02:57:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

Paul's question reminded me of something I read awhile ago.  It was about software that assists in estimating fabric.  Have any of you ever seen any of these programs or used them?  I find estimating cloth requirements sort of tedious, but it is getting easier.  I have to wonder how much time is saved by using a program to do it, don't you still have to plug in basic numbers to get it started?

Grebo

Me to, drives me nuts working it out each time. On the plus side at least I am usually about right  ;D

Suzi

sofadoc

A few years ago, I downloaded a free trial version of one of those yardage estimating/cutting softwares. I played around with it for a day or 2.
Maybe the full version would've worked better, but it seemed to me that those types of software are more beneficial to mass production (not a "one-at-a-timer" like me).
But I do recall others in that previous discussion speaking more favorably of it. Maybe it was because I'm too "techno-challenged".
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

My wife made me a program using Excel for the solar screens I make for RV's. You simply input the window frame dimensions and it spits out the finished measurements, my costs and the final price to the customer. It includes all my material costs as well.

I love the program. The only problem is that it can be used only for solar screens. Still it gives me accuracy in pricing, materials needed, etc. I have been thinking about having her make another identical program for awnings as well but she is so busy with teaching at the moment that she has very little spare time.

It would seem that a program could be developed in Excel for furniture, drapes, etc. But then maybe I am wrong. I do know it gets harder to make these programs if there are alot of variables involved in the work.

Chris

scarab29

Try this guy ,

canvas one marine canvas systems
2929 se ocean blvd n6
stuart Fl 34996

richcanvas@bellsouth.net

Sent me a demo some time back. Not a cheap program but will do a lot.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Mike8560

on boat. Upholstery I just estimate from experience. I just did a maxim 25 ish bowrider took 20 yards site and 2  blue for stripes I didn't have a extra yards left over intr to have a couple extra on canvas it's easy measuring

DBR1957

I really don't go to crazy worrying about yardage. Always order a couple of
extra yards over my estimate to be safe. The way I figure it, I'd rather pay
for a couple extra yards than loose time and money if I don't have enough.
Trying to keep yardage exact can really burn you. Your labor is much more
valuable than materials.

However, I'm in the marine business and I realize that some of you guys
here in the residential upholstery business can get some pretty expensive
fabrics and your fabric to labor ratio is a lot closer than marine work. If that's
the case, I can see your cause for concern.

Mike8560

November 07, 2011, 08:06:47 pm #7 Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 08:09:30 pm by Mike8560
You know dbr I also try to have a little extra   Jothing make me more upset the having to order a couple yards of vinyl.  And with shipping I've for a $70 order rhather then just and extra $30 to begin with  beside it usualy white and I can always find a white seatb ushion to use it on   

Ihavenoname

No programs that I know of, but what I do is give a general yardage and figure high to start. But when they decide or go with the job and pick out the fabric and I know the pattern then I figure a firmer yardage.

But I am talking about furniture not boats covers or tops.

Also after nearly 27 years in furniture upholstery, I eyeball pretty well.

Also I estimate high for anther reason. People will bring me their own fabric which I usually can not order more or order extra if their is a problem with it. Also, many times I tell someone they need 12 yards and they bring me 11 saying that is all they had. So I always at first say more then needed.  Better to much then not enough.

Terror of all terrors, I had a designer bring me fabric. And yep, it was a larger pattern then stated, there was a flaw that made a yard worthless, their was stains in the fabric that took another yard at least, and it was $221 retail. So glad I stated about 4 more yards then I thought I would need. for a very large loose pack and seat cushion sofa.

I could just see me ordering 2 more yards at  my cost and then the color lot not matching.

More is better.