Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 10:21:24 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sea Ray Windows

Started by regalman190, October 28, 2011, 08:42:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

regalman190

I've made enclosures and replacement windows for a bunch of Sea Ray's. One thing I noticed on a lot of them, is how the front windows fit. The curves are perfect, the fit is smooth...no buckles, no wrinkles. I can't seem to ever get mine that smooth.
Does anyone know how they get them that way? They almost look like they use a heat gun on them...but that can be disaster if not careful.

Any ideas?
Regal Canvas

Mike8560

October 28, 2011, 02:29:11 pm #1 Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 02:31:55 pm by Mike8560
Well if your pattern is right. You have the top and bottom curve correct you just need to make sure you seam allowances arecorrect and your zipper alignment.  Start and stop I'd say that the most critical of all the zipper.  Are you talking express or flybridge. I don't see many sea Rays latly now thY outlook marine  max closed down.
No glass here just canvas instead but it's the same principal. Did I say I like it tight also?
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/Express%20cruiser%20enclosures/100_0895k.jpg

regalman190

My curves are good and so are zipper placements. But,there is always that slight wrinkle, especially with clear vinyl windows.
Fabric fronts are smooth and tight.
But, the Sea Ray clear front windows look almost too perfect :D
Regal Canvas

Mike8560

At guage vinly do you use i'm not sure what oem is I go no less then 40

JuneC

The ones like that I've seen are 30 gauge and stretched so tight that when you taken them off, they won't lay anywhere near flat.  They're totally distorted.  I'm guessing they have to go on with a heat gun.  I've talked to owners who won't ever take them down, no matter what, because they can't get them back on.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

though about it again and after looking st my lic they are angled allot
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/Express%20cruiser%20enclosures/34SEARAYDANCER.jpg
and I was thinking one thing thwt gives ne the most trouble is the back window on a flybridge the window from the Bimini down to the rear hardtop most are veery angle and slot of time I'm working with 2 curves the curve of the Bimini and the curve of the window attaching to the hardtop.
As this
as this
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/Flybridge/photo2-40.jpg
the corners   When you have the window zipped on  if you unzipped the curve of the zipper and can pull the wrinkle out then the zipper may be off a bit  
If all that is good what will happen is the window will sag and wrinkle I try to install them when it's hot so they will go on losse then tighten up as it gets colder  this might be your trouble?

Mike8560

October 29, 2011, 09:39:18 am #6 Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 11:32:49 am by Mike8560
Orry I wad thinking heat gun as in install them and then heat to Shrink them. Kinda heat like the sun my way. Yes they are tight and why take them off that what the u zippers are for

That's always the thing either it's "too. Tiight":(:(. Or it loose and wrinkly.
I think they think it should be like  rigid plane perfect not tight or loose

Grebo

Quote from: JuneC on October 29, 2011, 08:17:19 am
The ones like that I've seen are 30 gauge and stretched so tight that when you taken them off, they won't lay anywhere near flat.  They're totally distorted.  I'm guessing they have to go on with a heat gun.  I've talked to owners who won't ever take them down, no matter what, because they can't get them back on.

June

Yeh it's a big problem here, they bring a boat out of the UK with the original canvas, sometimes even in good condition :-X  It gets a bit of decent sunlight on it & every thing go's bullet tight.  ( not just sea rays of course) The one's that where 'snug' in the UK are busting poppers & pulling fittings out.
Most regular mortals might get them off, but no way can they get them back on.

Suzi