Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 02:13:40 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Friday's favorite sayings

Started by gene, October 05, 2011, 07:39:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

Amazing how little has changed in the last 80 years.  Will Rogers quotes:

A difference of opinion is what makes horse racing and missionaries.

A fool and his money are soon elected.

A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.

A remark generally hurts in proportion to its truth.

About all I can say for the United States Senate is that it opens with a prayer and closes with an investigation.

Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need.

Alexander Hamilton started the U.S. Treasury with nothing, and that was the closest our country has ever been to being even.

All I know is just what I read in the papers, and that's an alibi for my ignorance.

An economist's guess is liable to be as good as anybody else's.

An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

An onion can make people cry but there's never been a vegetable that can make people laugh.

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate, now what's going to happen to us with both a House and a Senate?

Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.

Chaotic action is preferable to orderly inaction.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.

Do the best you can, and don't take life too serious.

Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it.

Don't let yesterday use up too much of today.

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers

Even though you are on the right track - you will get run over if you just sit there.

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
Will Rogers

Everything is changing. People are taking their comedians seriously and the politicians as a joke.

Everything is funny, as long as it's happening to somebody else.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save.

I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat.

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts.

I guess there is nothing that will get your mind off everything like golf. I have never been depressed enough to take up the game, but they say you get so sore at yourself you forget to hate your enemies.

I have a scheme for stopping war. It's this - no nation is allowed to enter a war till they have paid for the last one.

If advertisers spent the same amount of money on improving their products as they do on advertising then they wouldn't have to advertise them.

If Stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?

If you ever injected truth into politics you have no politics.

If you want to be successful, it's just this simple. Know what you are doing. Love what you are doing. And believe in what you are doing.

It's easy being a humorist when you've got the whole government working for you.

It's not what you pay a man, but what he costs you that counts.

Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.

The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets.

The only time people dislike gossip is when you gossip about them.

The only way you can beat the lawyers is to die with nothing.

The schools ain't what they used to be and never was.

The time to save is now. When a dog gets a bone, he doesn't go out and make a down payment on a bigger bone. He buries the one he's got.

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

What the country needs is dirtier fingernails and cleaner minds.

When ignorance gets started it knows no bounds.

When should a college athlete turn pro? Not until he has earned all he can in college as an amateur.

and since Steve Jobs is being compared to Thomas Edison,  a quote from the latter:
"We often miss opportunity because it's dressed in overalls and looks like work"

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

scarab29

as Jesse James has tatooed on the palm of his hand "pay up sucker"
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

sofadoc

The cheapest way to trace your family history is to run for public office (your opponent will pay for it).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike8560

Is it ignorance or apathy, hey I don't k ow a d I don't care "
Jimmy buffett

timtheboatguy

The amount of ones wealth consist of the things he can do without
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

byhammerandhand

They are buying things they don't need with money they don't have to impress people they don't like.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

byhammerandhand

A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.
Winston Churchill
Keith

byhammerandhand

Never use a sesquipedalian word when a diminutive alternative will suffice.
Keith

gene

In reference to hammers' Winston Churchill quote:

I read a definitive book on Stonewall Jackson, a general on the South side of our Civil War. He was a very fascinating, and spooky person. The author did not say so, but I think that he got off on the battles and fighting and death that he saw as being directed by God.

Anyway, he wanted to wage a 'black flag' war. He wanted to take no prisoners. Everyone caught would be executed immediately. The South did not have the resources to keep prisoners, so they were simply let go. They would find their way back up North, get a new gun and supplies, and then fight again. If General Lee had gone along with Jackson, the outcome of the war could have been very different.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!