Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

August 21, 2024, 11:00:14 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Customer on a Really Tight Budget

Started by jojo, October 18, 2011, 09:39:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Hi guys, I need some opinions. I have a customer who needs both a cover and her seats done on a pontoon. She thinks she can only do one or the other, so she's thinking of getting the seats done and using giant tarps (the boat's at her house) to cover it for the winter. I don't predict this will be successful, as last winter we got tons of snow.
What is the absolute cheapest fabric on the market that would be appropriate for a cover? I'm going to really try to give her a good price on both because she's a super nice lady.
I know it doesn't make the best business sense to do people favors, but I'm making an exception just this once.
Thanks!

Mike8560

Is there nobody that doese shinkwrap there depending on boat silze maybe a few hundred dollars 

Mike8560

BigJohn

Shrink wrapping a pontoon here in Wisconsin goes for between $265 and $375 approx.. and inside storage costs about the same $13.50 a foot . This still doesn't do any good for the customer that wants a cover for protection during the boating season also.

JuneC

Do you have an account at TriVantage?  They occasionally do closeouts at $3 to $4 a yard for seconds.  Most Aqualon or Sunbrella seconds would work just fine for a cheap cover.  They may have weave errors (thick spots in the fiber) or color issues (off color spots).   But on a tight budget, so what...  Also, for you to produce, rather than fitted, you could make a less-fitted cover using sand-bags to hold the sides down since it's stored out of water. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

Quote from: BigJohn on October 18, 2011, 06:55:14 pm
Shrink wrapping a pontoon here in Wisconsin goes for between $265 and $375 approx.. and inside storage costs about the same $13.50 a foot . This still doesn't do any good for the customer that wants a cover for protection during the boating season also.

Well they could do the upholstery store It  for the winter and save up for covers in the spring

Peppy

I always tell people with pontoon boats who want upholstery that they should trow out the rotten stuff and replace it with lawn furniture. Then you could build one seat with enough storage fit all the loose cushions you'd make for the furniture (or recover the big seat at the back.) No need for a tarp.

Nobody has ever gone for it.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Mike8560

Peppy alt had plywood deck and carpet I'd want to protect it from rot

jojo

Hahaha! Lawn furniture it is! Thanks Peppy.   :-\

Mojo

JoJo:

I hate even mentioning their name here but..... Rochford usually has close outs on cover fabric. I have picked it up in the past from them for 2 bucks a yard. I have some of it that has faded over time but is still holding up after a few years.

You might want to take a peek at their website and see if they have any on close out.

Chris

jojo

Thanks Chris, I forgot all about this; anyone ever try this Aqua-gun fabric? It's pretty cheap.

BigJohn

jojo:
     If you try that Aqua Gun fabric let me know what you think of it, I've been threatening to do a cover for my own pontoon and since it would be a first time thing I don't want to waste expensive fabric if I screw it up!

Peppy

Quote from: Mike8560 on October 19, 2011, 05:48:14 am
Peppy alt had plywood deck and carpet I'd want to protect it from rot

So would I, but they let it rot once.... To buy a boat and not buy a cover is total silliness if you ask me. To spend any labour on cheap fabric is silly to me too. Not only do you waste the fabric, but also the time spent building the tarp.

Quote from: jojo on October 19, 2011, 06:51:59 am
Thanks Chris, I forgot all about this; anyone ever try this Aqua-gun fabric? It's pretty cheap.

Never heard of it. You pays your nickel, you takes your chances.
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Mike8560

Just did about 3 cushions today for a toon. Dealer boat   
The other day I agree to do my neighbors toon  seas I xo t like to work for neighbors  but I agreed. Probly going to want a cover when I'm done.