Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 04:14:57 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Auto sunvisor binding, auto carpet

Started by Uncle Lar, September 29, 2011, 05:27:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Lar

I've looked at some previous posts on this site regarding binders and folders, although much of it has to do with sunbrella type materials.  I rarely work with these.  However, I do need to find something that will work with auto sunvisors, and also some sort of setup for carpet bindings. The visors, which are the biggest concern,  usually use 3/4" binding, and sometimes can be rather thick.  My machine is an older Rex (Nakajima).  At present, it is my only machine.  So, I'm not sure if I'm looking for a binder, a folder or ???  Can anyone get me headed the right direction?  Thanks.

baileyuph

October 01, 2011, 06:34:24 am #1 Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 04:42:53 pm by DB
There is not a good short answer to this question.

As a start, try contacting someone already into  providing this interior service and find out who they used for engineering support.  

Companies, that come to mind already involved, using this capability are PUI Industries, C.A.R.S., and ACME Headling.  You could ask to talk with their engineer in charge of this, perhaps he would give you the specific contact information you need.  I wouldn't expect them to share much more than that.

It isn't merely an attachment issue that would be used now and then on your machine.  Calibrations are very important for the specific task one will want to do.  One set up is usually only most effective for that specific task,  and along with all this the cost of setting up, can only be justified by doing a volume.  This may not be something accomplished for just a few hundred dollars.  

Maybe you can get a tour of one of the mentioned company operations, that would give the most informative answers.  

Doyle

Uncle Lar

Hmmm.  Looks like this won't be a problem with a quick solution.  However, I do really need to find an efficient solution for this.  I don't do visors often, but I do whole car interiors, so its an important part.  Doyle - thanks for your input, I'm still considering how I will apply it.

baileyuph

October 03, 2011, 06:21:20 pm #3 Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 04:58:36 pm by DB
There are quick resolutions to getting visors redone.

Go custom and do them in your shop.

Go original reproductions, which are available for some cars at $60 a pair.  It would be hard to redo the originals for that money.

Or if the requirement is recovering the original visors, back like they were when new, just mail them to one of the companies mentioned above.  They will recover them and mail them back.  You can supply the material if that helps.  Turn around?  This option, obviously would be a longer time line, but maybe not that bad.

I looked into getting the binding equipment and a pretty good inventory of supplies to get into this once and it was going to cost several thousand dollars.  That would be hard to justify, unless a shop wanted to attempt a volume business, there is plenty of competition already.

There is a engineering service offered by a couple of companies to build the binders needed for the job at hand and also to adapt it to the machine designated for the task.  Then, the requirement could expand depending on the variety of visors you expect to recover back to originality.  As I recall in our discussion, we were advised that a dedicated work station would be the preferred production plan.

These companies also provided engineering support to do carpet binding as well.

Doyle

Mojo

Our resident auto expert is " stitcherguy". PM him and get some input from him. He specializes in car interiors and will be able to tell you how he does his visors.

I believe Greg sells these custom binders but am not sure. I know custom binders are expensive as hell.

Hope this helps.

Chris

baileyuph

QuoteOur resident auto expert is " stitcherguy". PM him and get some input from him. He specializes in car interiors and will be able to tell you how he does his visors

Chris, Russ did not restore visors of the pre 70's period back to originality, no one on this board has reported that capability, it is a relatively expensive set up.  Even Greg has echoed that fact.  Go back and read his commented offering. 

Russ's solution to visors, is like mine or anyone else who does not have the type of equipment I speak of, will be a different method, it might look fine but it won't be a method that meets the original specifications of  pre 70's double edge binded visors. I understand the problem and will not mislead this requester.

You could be misleading this individual by not knowing enough about the issue yourself.  On this binding issue, the experts are the companies that have demonstrated the capability successfully.  I have list a few.

Greg can come up with equipment but go back and read his input, it would be relatively more expensive to come up with a working system.  Greg has to be paid for his support just like anyone else, he implied this requirements if one elects to work with him.  The requester in this case said he had read previous post on folders and binders anyway. 

Doyle