Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 06:25:46 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

No-Sag spring cutter

Started by slodat, September 14, 2011, 11:22:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Henry

So I sold the boss on giving one of the Osborne benders a go again as I couldn't find a good one anywhere on the net. Same result. Of the 6-8 bends I tried on it 3 broke the end off the spring.

One thing I noticed is that the "roller" you rest the spring against doesn't turn. Could that be the problem 'Doc? Does yours turn as you bend the spring?
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

Quote from: Darren Henry on September 29, 2011, 06:32:03 pm
One thing I noticed is that the "roller" you rest the spring against doesn't turn. Could that be the problem 'Doc? Does yours turn as you bend the spring?

Sorry I'm just now getting back to you. I've been on vacation.
No, my roller doesn't turn. I'm not sure what the problem is. I've had mine for nearly 20 years. I've broken maybe a dozen ends during that time. Did you notice how I allow the spring to "give" a little while I'm holding it against the roller?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

Hi Doc;hope you had a good vacation. I did notice you letting the spring move and tried to do the same. I had the tool clamped in the vice [working parallel to the floor] and still on one crutch and this danged "boot"so I was not fluid. I'd go to centre,shuffle over and then pull from the other side. I know that bending tubing this can can be problematic,maybe that's my issue.

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!