Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 15, 2024, 06:14:10 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

old vinyl as a template? template options

Started by n01945, March 12, 2012, 07:54:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

n01945

Hi - working on a curved engine cover with three different colors of vinyl (think ski boat). Does anyone use anything in particular that they really like for making templates - white dust cover? Plastic? Not sure that will work on a such big curve..Thanks!

SHHR

if you cant use the original peices as patterns, I use thin guage clear vinyl. It takes the curves real well with enough stretch to conform to the shapes.
Kyle

scarab29

Some here use shrink wrap , clear that is. Seen some use paper . I use pantex pattern plastic.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Mike

I use clear plastic nought at home depot
Here's a good  read on using the old skin
http://marinefabricatormag.com/articles/0311_st2_inside_covers.html
Speaking of shrink I used to have a lot up. Orth when I did shrink for the winter she I did motorcycle seats I'd. Over them with shrink wrap  shrink it nd mArk for seam rthen  it it off for  a pattern it would be like. Old skin not flat.  But worked  great

Peppy

If I'm making patterns for vinyl I use dust cloth and I staple it to the foam. For Sunbrella I use paper.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

n01945

Thanks everyone - I have a feeling I'm going to be trying a few different pattern techniques for this crazy looking engine box - and thank you for the video too!

n01945

Mike