Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 04:15:57 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Questions for My Furniture Peeps

Started by jojo, September 24, 2011, 03:31:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

I'm not a furniture person, but I want to put some new fabric on my own couch. The seat cushions are loose, but the back cushions are attached. First question: why? Do manufacturers do this to save fabric? (It's a sectional, btw). Second question: Is there any reason why I can't convert the back cushions into loose cushions also? Thanks!

MinUph

Manufactures may save a bit on fabric but not allot. It is a style thing. There is really no reason why you can't change to loose pillow backs. A little more yardage. Loose pillow backs also have the option of removing the backs and you can lay down on the sofa in a larger area. Kinda like a bed. Just make the back cushions the same thickness and you will be fine.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sittin good

I would say that gravity comes into play. A seat cushion lays flat where as the inside back stands up. Depending on the angle of the inside back it may not be so good to have loose cushions in that application. It does not take that much more fabric to make attatched cushions. Top pulls and side pulls don't add much to fabric requirements.