Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 26, 2024, 06:51:46 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

boat upholstery

Started by tdidrvr, September 21, 2011, 09:26:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tdidrvr

New to the discussion board..hope to get some feedback.
I do a bit of upholstery on the side..mostly now for friends and family...and have been asked to do a 26' Reinell open bow ski boat.
Is there an estimate of how much marine vinyl its going to take? I know I can measure, measure, measure...but was hoping someone has been thru this nut-roll before !

thanks and looking forward to reading your posts!

JuneC

Never heard of that brand.  Any pics???  Does it look similar to this?

http://ads.boatboss.com/711_Anaheim/50311_2005_Reinell_246_Open_bow_with_tower_for_wakeboarding_used_ski_boat.html

If so, good luck....  you're gonna need it just to get the upholstery pieces out.  I did a similar Cobalt bowrider (23LS) and it was a nightmare just getting the pieces off the boat.  I had to physically climb into the forward storage lockers under the seats (opening about 28 x 9 inches) and the "engine room" to get at the screws.  Have the boat owner get the pieces off for you. 

In the case of the Cobalt, I think it took somewhere around 15 yards of vinyl, but don't hold me to that.  It's been 3 years since I did it and no bow riders since then. 

Good luck! and welcome!

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

Ya we don't see many bowrider in fl.  I used to try to get exact before now injust loon at the seats and coaming pads and count. That's one yard 2 3 and so on it's good to have a little extra just In case 

Highvelocity

I would give you this advice, since you are somewhat new at this, try to go 2 yards over your estimate.  This was good advice I got from here when I was starting out.  It does 2 things, it allows for miscalculations and screw ups when cutting or sewing...  As you get better you can goto one yard over and then maybe a 1/2 yard over.  I still go a full yard over estimated amount.  The last thing you want is to come up an inch or 2 short on a long run...then you have to order more and you wind up with even more waste... 

Ed
Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

Darren Henry

QuoteThe last thing you want is to come up an inch or 2 short on a long run...then you have to order more and you wind up with even more waste...

A lesson learned way too hard, way too often as a teen working for my Dad , an electrician.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!