Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 19, 2024, 10:42:56 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

sewing motor dust

Started by gene, September 13, 2011, 04:38:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

Hello,

I was moving my sewing machines around and doing a bit of Spring cleaning. I took the old air compressor hose with an air thingy attached to the end and blew air into the clutch motor of one of my machines. With the sun coming through the windows my shop looked like Pompey revisited.

I was amazed at how much dust was in my motor! I wonder if you folks regularly clean out your motor in a similar way, or have never thought about it, or are wondering why my motor would be so dusty when yours isn't.

I would think too much dust could be a fire hazard.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SHHR

Yep, most motors get dusty inside. Some of it is normal wear and tear, but most is drawn into it by static. I go around the shop a few times a year and blow out any motor in there, Compressor, sewing machine, fans, grinders, etc. I have heard of fires from dust collection and have seen motors too that looks like it needs a shave with all of the fuzz attached to it. Blowing them out regularly can increase their life too just from a cooling standpoint.

kodydog

September 13, 2011, 05:56:12 pm #2 Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 06:08:06 pm by kodydog
Good to know SHHR, I'll be sure to clean mine. Last time I was under my machine, looking at the motor, I noticed what I think is an oil hole above what I think is the bearing. Does anyone know if these things are supposed to be oiled.

One day I was working at the cutting table when I heard a strange noise coming from the sewing machine. I looked down to where the power cord plugs into a power strip just in time to see a small flame. Dust, threads and fabric scraps caused the plug (not fully seated) to arc. I quickly put it out but I hate to think what would have happened if I hadn't been there.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

byhammerandhand

I've started in the last few years to blow out motors fairly regularly.   Drills, routers, saws, etc.   They all seem to collect dust.  Especially so when I get a used piece of equipment, first thing I do is get out the blow gun.

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mojo

I do the same thing keith does. I blow out the motors on all my motors - from the sewing machines to the power tools I have.

I think it helps reduce operating temps and extends the life of motors by keeping them clean.

Chris