Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 03:27:35 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Venture tape and leaking tops

Started by fragged8, September 04, 2011, 01:59:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fragged8

hiya

While on my break I went to see some suppliers, while talking to one of
them I mention I used a lot of venture tape to seal any seam above my
head like pockets etc to prevent leaks but still had a few problems.

His opinion was that Venture tape WAS the problem of leaking overhead seams ??

His explanation was that the glues etc on the tape actually migrate through the fabric
and cause that part of the fabric to wick moisture just where the tape is underneath.

I'm going to have to make a couple of test pieces to try this out but has anyone come across this
before ?

Also he told me Weathermax is chosen over Acrylic more often than not ? any opinions on Weathermax
appreciated.

Rich

Mike8560

Ll I can say is Crlyi  are the most asked for here in. The northeast and here in Florida maybe the
mid states are different around the great lakes ?

Mojo

Miami Mike and I were just talking about Weathermax. He said it is a very good product and right there with Recacril in regards to standing up to weather, sun, etc.

I need to get a small cut from him to work with. I am curious to see how it is in regards to folding, sewing, etc.

Chris

fragged8

what about the venture tape problem ?  anyone come across this ?

Peppy

I don't know Rich, we only started useing tape this year and have had many MANY leaking problems. Perhaps you're on to something. Not very good seam sealing tape then is it?
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Grebo

I only use it to keep stuff in place until sewn ( like windows) I never rely on it to seal the seams. I find anti wick thread & the right size needle does the job & not having the canvas so tight that it pulls the stitch holes open  ;)

Suzi

JuneC

I gave up on seam tape years ago as I was never able to find a brand that actually stuck to acrylic for more than a few seconds.  Only time I see leaking problems is when the canvas is so tight it pulls the holes open (and I won't make my canvas this tight). 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

Years ago o. Sun related website there was a statement that new canvas will wi k at the thread and leak. Afger a short time dist and small
particals will fill the holes
and stop  dripping.  I never heard of the tape at that time so  I did t try it and just copied hoe my neighbor a Larson dealors tops were made. I alway told folks that the leaking will stop but I don't think they beloved me till I showed them the statement on sunbrella. 
It's no longer on there last time I looked.  But every boat I owned in the last 20 years always stopped leaking  at the thread. And as June said too tight and the hopes will open.
There used to be a seam seal in a bottle with a roller ball tip but it was all greasy looking
ne I don't bother with tape 

regalman190

I always use seam tape "high tack" and I have had only one top leak. It stopped after a few rainfalls. I think the seam tape helps plug the holes as the needle pulls the adhesive through the holes.
Regal Canvas

fragged8

i'm gonna keep you guys updated on this,

I rang the Uk regional manager for Venture tape
and we had a chat about this problem and if it really existed
or not ?

He suggests I send him some fabric samples and also
make up a couple of test pieces, one with tape and one without
as a control piece.

The fabric samples he will send to their labs in the US for testing
to try and put this to bed.

If there isn't a problem then all is good and the rumour I got from a major
supplier in these parts can be put to bed, but if there is a problem of migration
wetting out the material then they need to find a solution.

All in all we should be able to give a firm answer one way or another.

Regards
Richard