Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 30, 2024, 03:12:37 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Clear vinyl question marine folks

Started by Mike8560, September 02, 2011, 08:27:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

Mostly I've alway use stratoglass. But I've got a little enclosilure to do soon snlmall windows ona 24 or so boat.  When I did all lake boats I used to use 30g roll vinyl extruded.  I fried iferleafed but witht the paper I rember I git some marks cro. It I think  now j see at Miami there is 30g plain 30g interleafed  and 30g extruded all close in price what it best ?

Eric

I use trivantage .03 extruded for the people who wish to save money. However one of my competitors uses  a glass that looks like you're looking thru an orange peel.
I have a question advantage or disadvantage between Strata and osea. I like osea's ability to be cleaned with any cleaner and not effected by sunscreen. Whereas strata you have to use Imar and can't take sunscreen, however you can crease it and the crease bakes out  wil  osea the crease causes a opaque blemish that won't heat out.
Eric

JuneC

I've only used 30g extruded on rare occasions for large windows like a camper where clarity is no real issue and the customer was price sensitive.  I'd worry about creases in the paper causing imprints on the vinyl.  The roll I bought was not interleaved.

Still haven't tried O'Sea since the price was quite similar to Strataglass - just a few bucks less - and I know Strataglass quality.  Interesting observations, Eric.  I didn't know O'Sea could be cleaned with anything.  Also good info about the creasing. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

Just wondering what the interleafed paper is fir. Last tine I used it it seemed to have left marks from the paper  like the last couple rolls from the tube on extruded

fragged8

nobody here would pay for strat so all mine comes off a roll

Rich

Grebo

I find strata two thick for most fold down hoods ( Dodgers ) it gets nasty creases in, so use crystal clear off the roll, it's no where near as clear as strata but that's not so important if it's doing to fold down a lot.

Suzi

Lmc530

Your comments regarding the clear vinyl glass are really helpful.. especially now since here in CT after the hurricane... folks are calliing to get their windows replaced after being damaged.. I'm using primarily the 30g clear vinyl..

Being a newcomer to this business... can you experienced marine folks please share your suggestions to sew in new glass...

Are you putting it over the old and sewing prior to cutting out the old...??

ANY and ALL SUGGESTIONS are being considered to help me save time and still produce quality..

Thanks!!!  

Lauren~

JuneC

While many of us have different methods for replacing glass, I think you'll find it's universal to sew on the new glass before removing the old.  If you don't, you'll lose the size and shape.  I sew on the new glass using 3/4" double-fold binding along the glass edge (flattened out, not around the edge since it would be too thick).  The new glass is sized abut 1/2" larger than the old and the binding will cover the raw edge.  Cut out the old using a new box cutter blade (just score and rip).  To make removal easier, before sewing on the new glass, make a 2-3" cut somewhere in the old glass so you can get a grip on it later.  I don't remove all of the old glass since it typically runs to the edges of the windows and to remove all that (zips, binding, etc) would exceed the time it takes to make a brand new window. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

LlI'll do it as June said. If it's a cheap customer forget the flat bindi g to cover thebraw edge.  They don't care about  that. 

Lmc530

Thanks June and Mike...

Are you also replacing screening the same way?

Mike8560

Quote from: Grebo on September 06, 2011, 05:54:15 am
I find strata two thick for most fold down hoods ( Dodgers ) it gets nasty creases in, so use crystal clear off the roll, it's no where near as clear as strata but that's not so important if it's doing to fold down a lot.

Suzi
Zi I've only seen it in sheets didn't k kw it was on rolls also cryslstal clear

regalman190

I use roll vinyl when the customer wants an inexpensive job. Stopped using the roll vinyl with inter leaf (paper ) because the wrinkles in the paper transfer to the vinyl. Otherwise, I use Manart's Aqua View 30 ga.

Regal Canvas

Darren Henry

QuoteAre you putting it over the old and sewing prior to cutting out the old...??

Yes, and the same for screen. One big pointer(especially for screen) is to make sure you have a hole somewhere in the old panel to get your scissors started when you go to cut out the old. ;)
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!