Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 01, 2024, 04:20:30 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

side note to: auto trimmers looking for work

Started by gene, September 05, 2011, 07:29:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

September 05, 2011, 07:29:49 am Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 07:33:45 am by gene
Howdy,

I did not want to hijack Thehogring's post about auto trimmer jobs.

I did want to respond to 206RB's comment which was:

"I'm pretty sure that I'm the best auto trimmer out there, how much are you going to pay me? And why shouldn't I just go into business myself?"

Howdy 206RB,

I do not know how much you will be paid at any auto trimmer shop out there. There are many variables involved: geography (NYC probably pays more than Po Dunk, KY), type of business the shop caters to (dopers, middle class car enthusiasts, high end custom money is no object folks, etc.), and how much the boss wants to keep you, the best auto trimmer out there, happy and content - just to name a few.

Why you should not go into business yourself? Because you will fail, and fail miserably. Well, at least that's what the statistics say.

I've mentioned before the book, The E-Myth Revisited. It talks about 3 positions in a small business: The technician (which is you being the best auto trimmer out there), the manager (running the company, AR, AP, taxes, etc., etc., etc.), and the entrepreneur (how am I going to grow, what else can I do with the resources I have, etc).

There are so many awesome craftspeople, technicians, etc., that are at the top of their fields. And yet, they have none of the skills needed to run a business. And many of them do not want to run their own businesses.

I like to mention this book because it has been so helpful to me. My adviser from SCORE, and this book, have been vital to me not going insane and then going out of business because I didn't understand what was needed to run a small business.

The service and quality that I provide to my customers as a furniture upholsterer is second to no one. And this has nothing to do with the skills needed to run a small business.

Good luck,

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Peppy

[quote author=gene link=topic=10635.msg84292#msg84292 date=1315232989
The service and quality that I provide to my customers as a furniture upholsterer is second to no one. And this has nothing to do with the skills needed to run a small business.
[/quote]

Thats where I'm at. I'm good at the work, but a terrible salesman and bad bill collector. I should read that book. I've always thought this buisness was thre trades in one.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

kodydog

September 06, 2011, 10:00:56 am #3 Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 01:25:07 pm by kodydog
I always tell everyone I couldn't run my business without my wife. She has a bachelor degree in accounting with a minor in business. And yes shes way over qualified for her job. She accounts her books with a very sharp pencile. If it were up to me they would be a mess.

When I was working in south Florida, at the start of each job the boss would hand us a work order. On it was the piece of furniture, what repairs to be made, the fabric and trim, decorators name and even how much he charged to do the job. And when we were through we would write our hours and hand it back.

When I went back to working for myself I thought that system would be good to see how accurate our price list was.
We soon discovered some of our prices were on the low side and adjusted them accordingly. Keeping accurate accounting of our time helps us make more money.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html