Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 26, 2024, 07:24:49 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Funny Customer Question

Started by Highvelocity, August 31, 2011, 06:35:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Highvelocity

I get a call right before the big storm heading to NJ...It's a customer I did a Bimini top for, I recreated one from his old one...  He was happy with the job and wanted to refer me some work...sounds good so far right.  He tells me about a customer an hour away who wants a full boat cover on a 14 footer and wants to be able to trailer with it on.  So I said sure no problem...then he says "Can you make the cover without seeing the boat??" ?????????     

At that point I wanted to bust out laughing, because no measurements,  no pattern, no pictures, I'm thinking does this guy think I'm a magician??? hahaha  But I didn't laugh or make fun...I simple said, well just have the gentleman call me and I will work it out with him...hahahaha  They are out there...

Ed
Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

mike802

I once had a customer ask if she could drop her wing chair off in the morning and pick it up that afternoon.  I said sure, but it wont be finished. :D
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

gene

August 31, 2011, 07:23:28 am #2 Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 07:26:19 am by gene
I learned this from my days in sales and marketing.

I had someone want a quote over the phone for reupholstering a sofa. I began to ask questions like, "How many loose seat cushions? How many loose back cushions. How long is the sofa". etc.

The guy got a bit irritated and said he didn't want to answer a bunch of questions, he just wanted a quote to reupholster his sofa.

So, I said, "$25.00".

He said "$25.00! $25.00 for what?"

I said, "I don't know and I won't know until you give me the information I need to put together an accurate quote."

He hung up.

My guess is that he was irritated before he started making phone calls because his wife was making him price shop for reupholstering their sofa.

I saw a smiley face that was laying on it's back laughing. I don't know how to put it on this post, but imagine a smiley face for ROFLMAO.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mojo

Wait a second here. You mean to tell me you need the boat to make a cover for it ?
Geeessshhh. You Marine people are so demanding and hard to get along with.  8)

I always knew the furniture guys were a pain to deal with but always thought you Marine people had it together.  ;D

You guys are getting more and more like the machine dealers. They also want the machine before they can fix it.  :D

Chris

Darren Henry

My favorite line for those who want a quote sight unseen like that is "Can you hold the phone a little closer to the sofa/boat/whatever, I can't see it very well from there"
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

byhammerandhand

In today's e-mail:

"I have two chairs  , two or three spinal that need replacing.   
What would be estimate for this ?   i think the wood is oak... "

::)

My uncle used to have a folksy expression, "How much water does it take to fill a leaky barrel?"  In case you missed this in algebra I, how big is the barrel, how fast is(are) the leak(s), what part of the barrel is/are the leak(s) in, and how fast are you pouring water in?  Actually, I guess it's more of a Calculus III question.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

I used to have a customer that would always say "OH! MY LORD!!" after each and every price quote that I gave her.
So, one day, while giving her a quote, I said "Yeah, I can do all of these cushions for about 5 bucks".
Without thinking, she  exclaimed "Oh! MY LO--............wait.......wh-what did you say?"
I said "I just wanted to see if you were paying attention".
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

August 31, 2011, 04:34:34 pm #7 Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 05:36:05 pm by kodydog
That's great sofa. I'll have to show that to my wife, seems like shes been getting a lot of "THAT MUCH" lately.

What I like to do when they ask, "will can you come look at it". When I see it I quote them a higher price and point out all the reasons why its higher. Then go into the spiel how they can get another upholsterer to cover it but they may not do all the repairs it needs. It gets them thinking. Sometimes I get the job and sometimes not but at least I quoted the price I need to do a good job.

Hay Sofadoc what would you quote to upholster this unique chair

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/picker-sisters/photos/episode-gallery#id=11
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on August 31, 2011, 04:34:34 pm

2 Questions:
1) Are those radiator arms?
2) Do I get to keep the girl?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Now I know I've been upholstering way too long. I didn't even notice the girl.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SHHR

Quote from: sofadoc on August 31, 2011, 05:45:30 pm
Quote from: kodydog on August 31, 2011, 04:34:34 pm

2 Questions:
1) Are those radiator arms?
2) Do I get to keep the girl?

And with those arms, you'll have to call in a union plumber which is going to drive the price sky high!

Mike8560

Hoot al I ever do is work on boats
i just found richs new boat
http://partycove.com/images/Party_Cove_01.jpg

gene

It's called "The Flinch".

I was taught this in a sales meeting years ago.

I traveled a lot. I ALWAYS got a hotel discount with my library card. I would stop in to a Marriott, Holiday Inn, or similar hotel. I would ask if they had a non smoking room available and what was the rate.

They would give me a rate and I would say, "haw!" Not a word, just an inhaling of air. A flinch. That is all I said.

They would immediately ask me if I was a member of AAA. I would say "no". They would ask me if I was a member of AARP. I would say "no". Then I would say, "I do have a library card." They would laugh and give me one of those discounts.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!