Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 11:24:34 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

tips

Started by needles eye, August 23, 2011, 07:53:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Of all of those "handy" little tips that have came along on this board, one that comes to mind is the technique for tracing around a board (such as a dining room seat) to get the proper seam allowance.
I don't remember who posted it, but I like it:
Take a full metal "M" size bobbin, put an ink pen through the hole in the middle, and roll the bobbin around the board (while marking on the fabric).
For me, it produces a seam allowance that suits my style (it may not suit everyone).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

August 24, 2011, 10:19:56 am #16 Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 05:43:26 pm by kodydog
Quote from: sofadoc on August 23, 2011, 09:01:59 pm
Of all of those "handy" little tips that have came along on this board, one that comes to mind is the technique for tracing around a board (such as a dining room seat) to get the proper seam allowance.
I don't remember who posted it, but I like it:
Take a full metal "M" size bobbin, put an ink pen through the hole in the middle, and roll the bobbin around the board (while marking on the fabric).
For me, it produces a seam allowance that suits my style (it may not suit everyone).

You use the same method for ottomans? Most ottomans we get in, the top that's on it is too tight or too loose.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Ottomans can be trickier, since so many have a crown. The bobbin trick mainly works for flat items.
You're right. Many ottoman covers don't fit right.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

scottymc

One very important tip given to me when starting up a business, given to me from a friend of me dad's who  was a very successful business man. You are never going surfing or fishing, your out giving a quote.   

MTupguy

I keep a few small pieces of scrim foam around for when I have to hand sew and the needle is not going through smoothly... hands always get sweaty and the foam side of the scrim foam gives pretty good grip.