Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 12:39:01 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

auto's how long ?

Started by fragged8, August 21, 2011, 04:53:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fragged8

hiya

I've just been wondering how long it would take to
strip a car seat, pattern it, sew a new cover and fit ?

My work van needs the seats recovering and i am capable of
doing it but am wondering how long the van will be out of action.

Also I need to rebuild the side bolster on the seat, do you guys use
crumb foam and sand to shape ?

Rich

christwo

August 21, 2011, 05:48:59 pm #1 Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 05:50:30 pm by christwo
I usually bid a seat for 6 - 8 hours depending on the seat, start to finish. I've always used whatever foam best matches the density and consistency of the existing foam, and shaped accordingly for symmetry. Usually use an electric bread cutter for subtle shaping and glue Dacron down to conseal anything through the cover. That's me personally, I am sure others on here who have done it longer have different or better techniques, but It's always worked out fine for me.  In this picture below, the ENTIRE right side of the cushion was destroyed and pretty much not there I pieced it together with foam I had laying around, and shaped it with taking a few reference measurements from the other side at first, but did the curving and shaping by eye with a bread cutter.

christwo

Oh, with the foam work on that particular seat, it took probably a total of 9 hours. The foam work was the majority of the piece, would have taken me another hour or so if the shop owner would have permitted me to fix the headrest.