Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 12, 2024, 03:32:26 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Worth a look

Started by christwo, August 16, 2011, 02:00:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

christwo

I found a website with some great deals on used and new industrial machines. Here is a Consew 327RB-1 listed at 350.00. Allot of the machines are missing certain parts, or have something wrong, but not all. Worth the look.

http://www.usa-dealer.net/Consew-327RB-1-Double-Needle-with-Split-Needle-Bar-Heavy-Duty-Drop-Feed-Needle-Feed-Lockstitch-Industrial-Sewing-Machine-_p_3208.html

As some of you know I am purchasing a Nakajima 280L. I found this one on here as well for 250.00 with a broken bed, yet brand new.. Seems fair?

http://www.usa-dealer.net/NAKAJIMA-280L-Broken-Bed-brand-new-machine_p_414.html

sofadoc

Quote from: christwo on August 16, 2011, 02:00:43 pm
I found this one on here as well for 250.00 with a broken bed, yet brand new.. Seems fair?

I dunno, whoever buys that one will have a tough time getting $250 for it at the scrap iron recycling center. I'm skeptical about the "Brand new" part, too.
You gotta remember, any of those "missing parts" machines are likely going to run more that they're worth to fix up.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

christwo

I could not help but wonder if it were brand new through a distributor of some sort and maybe fell of a truck as your 562 did   ;) But never the less I would be weary as well. I figured on the 280L if nothing else the 250.00 may be worth the internals of the machine to have around the shop?

Tejas

Could this possibly be new and never used?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/art/2548823120.html

BTW, the 60 sec post rule seems rather annoying.
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

sofadoc

Quote from: Tejas on August 16, 2011, 05:28:00 pm
BTW, the 60 sec post rule seems rather annoying.

What IS the 60 sec. post rule?

christwo

I've had it happen to me a couple times when infact it was my first post of the day ha. Dont understand it myself.

Tejas

On the 60 second rule, I usually don't logon unless I want to post, and apparently if I complete a post within 60 seconds, the post is rejected, and I get a warning. I suppose the purpose to defeat programatic spamming, and spam is more annoying so I shouldn't have complained.
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

sofadoc

I never log out. I guess that's why I've never noticed the 60 sec. rule (that, and the fact that it takes me WAY-Y-Y longer than 60 seconds to create a post anyway.) ;D

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

August 17, 2011, 06:11:56 am #8 Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 06:19:33 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
Quote from: christwo on August 16, 2011, 02:00:43 pm
As some of you know I am purchasing a Nakajima 280L. I found this one on here as well for 250.00 with a broken bed, yet brand new.. Seems fair?
http://www.usa-dealer.net/NAKAJIMA-280L-Broken-Bed-brand-new-machine_p_414.html

I wouldn't pay more than $10 for that there Nakajima.  Anybody who sees the value, rock on but I can't make out with that.

Do they have the broken of piece?  And if so, do you have any provisions to make the necessary repairs?  I don't want to be nosy, but I don't want to see someone spend $$$ on somthing they cannot use. 

We have over 1,500 new and used machines at our shop, and I've never seen a crack like that.  Usually it's hairliacrossk accross the bed, and we are able to save the machine by welding it, not easy as cast iron is not fun to work with. 

christwo

Good to know Gregg, I was hoping to hear your input on it. I was just wondering if it would be worth the internals inside. I called the Juki headquarters in North American the other day just for kicks to see what they said about the 280L, and actually to see when exactly they bought out Nakajima out. The rep I spoke to said that the 280L and the 241 are completely different castings, he said the parts for the 241 and the 280L outside of the basics like feed dogs, feet, tensioners etc. are not interchangeable, and that any of the internal workings such as counter weights, cams, shafts, etc. are all discontinued and would be impossible to find. Although I don't plan on having to worry about any of those things anytime soon, it got me thinking about what may I do if I ever have to?

Mojo

Greg or Bob may correct me on this but I personally believe that with care ( oiling and cleaning ) these machines will be running long after all of us are planted and rotted away. This has already been proven with the number of very old machines out there that have been rode hard and pout away wet and are still running.

Secondly I am of the opinion that if ( even with proper care ) something major goes wrong it probably wont be the internals as much as it will be the little things that you can easily pick up from a dealer for cheap ( hooks, tension assemblies, needle bars, etc. ). All bets are off though if you own a Pfaff or Adler. There is nothing cheap about them when it comes to parts. :)

If your business is the type that you cannot be down for a day without a machine then I would think you would be better off saving your money and buying a good backup machine. That is exactly what I did with the recent Juki purchase. If you wait patiently and keep track of the Craigslist postings your bound to find a screaming deal.

Just my 2-cents worth. :)

Chris

christwo

Quote from: Mojo on August 17, 2011, 10:27:20 am
Greg or Bob may correct me on this but I personally believe that with care ( oiling and cleaning ) these machines will be running long after all of us are planted and rotted away. This has already been proven with the number of very old machines out there that have been rode hard and pout away wet and are still running.

Mojo, I could not agree more. I think that the Nakajima 280L which I am purchasing should be considered a a good investment. Not that I ever do plan on it falling short on me due to negligence in any way shape or form or for any other reason, but it is always nice to know the parts needed will be available if for whatever reason that case occurs.