Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 19, 2024, 03:53:56 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Premier vinyl and some quality issues

Started by forsailbyowner, August 17, 2011, 05:35:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

forsailbyowner

Ok to start with Im working on a sportfishing boat called "Never Satisified". A high end toy that the owners take much pride in. Seats in cockpit are wrap around with bolsters. I get the first one done and theres like a crease running around the bolster. After cutting another plate I see another "crease"[ across the plate. I trashed the first attempt. Am I looking at seconds here, is this just crappy vinyl? I somehow think I shouldnt have to pick through a roll like it was a hide or something to get a quality end product. Anyone out there have experience with Premier vinyl?

JuneC

Who makes Premier?  Is that Spradling? Morbern?  I've had issues when my supplier gave me the end of a roll.  It seems the liquid vinyl as they roll it onto the backing gets pushed up in "waves", if you will.  There's a thick ridge that's pretty much unnoticeable until you get it out in the sun.  There are usually several of them, a few feet apart.  It's a manufacturing defect as far as I'm concerned but I've never gotten a supplier to give me a discount on replacement.    Annoying as hell. 

Most annoying recently is one supplier who wrote on the back of some quilt vinyl in ball point pen, then rolled it up.  Of course, the ink transferred to the face of the vinyl where it made contact on the roll.  Now quilt is bulky, and the writing covered a space roughly 8 x 10 inches and was on the outer cut, so when rolled up, the ink mark basically ruined a piece of vinyl that size about 30 inches in from the roll end.  Of course, I rolled it out, face down and cut my pieces, thereby causing MORE waste.  >:(  I'm going to have a word with them next time I go there. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

kodydog

Aggravation for sure. Is it the crease you get when you get to the end of the roll? The crease the end of the fabric causes for about two or three rolls around the cardboard tube? It's like a line all the way across the fabric. I had one of these on a seat front on a sofa recently and didn't notice it until I finished the project. Steam made it disappear. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

forsailbyowner

Dont think its limited to a small area. Owner  liked this vinyl from the sample cards because its extra heavy 40oz. Didnt notice it was described as "contract" vinyl, what the heck does that mean? Rochford offered  try a heatgun, if it doesnt work out they will replace or refund the UNCUT vinyl only.  Does that mean their planning on restocking the crap?Im throwing out their sample books and not using them anymore. Ive had several  unsatisfactory customer service issues with them.

scarab29

That's rochfords private label brand. Sorry but you'd be better off with nautolex capitano if you are looking for a heavy "marine" vinyl. Contract is not for marine , I think it would be a problem for Mr. " never satisfied" .  :o
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Mojo

It is the reason why I dropped Rochford and went with Miami. When I ordered something from Rochford I never knew what I would get. I have gotten some real crap from them in the past and calling them and asking for help is a joke.

I really question where they get some of their stuff ( Chinese counterfeits maybe ) . I got some cover material ( forgot the name ) that was supposed to be great. It was faded out and was junk in 6 months.

I had a problem once with a shipment from from Miami and I contacted Mike and he took care of it right away. They typically laugh at you at Rochford.

Chris

Mike8560

Iv only had issues with Vito at the end of a roll like june but only a foot or two or if the vinyl was folded. 
Not to be picket but ewjere are the seat?  The cockpit is the area in the back if the boat. Maybe a fishing seat  being a sportfish. Is it the salon?

forsailbyowner

cockpit is covered with hard top and glsss. so like intermediate between exterior and interior.  Rochford almost lost me last time when I ordered dies for a pressnsnap and they sent me two upper dies and no lower. 'When I contacted them they said they didnt package it and it wasnt their responsibility.The owner was looking for heavy because I did his leaning rails two years ago and someone leaned on it with something on their belt and put a nick in it. Guess hes looking for kevlar or something.

Mike8560

Gueese they wernt satified with a sportfish either