Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 07:20:54 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Boat Cover from Hell, or Maybe It's Me

Started by jojo, August 07, 2011, 04:21:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Hey guys,
So I'm *trying* to make a cover for this fishing boat which has a lot going on: a trolling motor, a windshield on one side only, and two bows. The back bow is taller than the front bow, and the windshield is in the middle.

I'm in the process of putting the snaps in, and there is a dip (no matter how tight I pull the fabric) in between the windshield and the back bow.

The fabric is pulled as taut as possible fore and aft. What should I do? A pole? Or am I doing something fundamentally wrong? Thanks in advance!
Oh,  in case you can't see the pics, here's a link to the album:
http://s1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd509/stitchbiatch/

JuneC

It's partly because you ran the seams port-stbd rather than one down the center, though if you ran a single center seam you might still have a bit of folding where you have it now.  I've sometimes managed to get rid of the pocket by putting in a fore-aft dart that removed the excess fabric, but you might have to put in a pole.  It's a judgement call.  As it is, you're sure to get water collecting in there.    If you can't reach it from the outside, get under the cover, let someone put on the snaps with you under, and pull the folds together and mark where they should be joined.   That's where I'd start.  If that doesn't make it tight enough, then a pole is your only option. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

As June said  but rather then going under after snaps are in I have and would. Pull the fabric  Roger taking out the. Slack and using a clamp
to hold it tight use 3 or 4 to hold it all and then I'll make a mark om each side of the clamp. Take off the cover connect the marks  cut a sew to remove the slack   
Having said that I asune the bow were supplied but I would use poles I havnt usd bows in a along time

jojo

Thanks guys. Yeah, June, I accidentally ordered 46" Sunbrella, so had to do the side to side thing.  :'(
The bows did come with the boat.
So a fore/aft dart, eh? I hate this boat.

fragged8

August 08, 2011, 02:29:54 pm #4 Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 02:42:39 pm by fragged8
i'd probably go down the dart route, but it is hard to tell without
getting my hands on the cover.

I do darts on blankets with a hand P3 stapler, it's so easy. spend a little time
holding the darts in place where you think they should go and if it looks good
staple them in place with a P3

when you get back to the shop turn the fabric over, mark the positions
of the staples and cross the staple mark with a reference mark.
Pull the fabric apart and remove the staples, and you're ready to sew the dart.

rich

Mike8560

Doese it puddle water jojo have you checked with a hose ?
May e you could just add a  ow or two and that would be good. The  customer may be happy