Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 07:26:52 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Screwed a Snap in the Wrong Spot - Now What?

Started by jojo, August 03, 2011, 02:36:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Hey guys,
I "screwed" up and put a snap where I shouldn't have. What's the proper procedure for filling in the hole?
Thanks,
Jo

Mike8560

Not your boat I take it.  Can you use the snap at all with the can as fitting properly?  Is do maybe you could use it and not have to fill the whole.  The best way would be to have a fiberglass repair guy stop by matching the gelcoat is best left to the pros if it's a customers boat.

MinUph

jojo
  You might be able to add a snap to use the stud you placed wrong. As Mike said this is a gel coat repair left to the pros. This is a fiberglass boat right?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Pegasus2007

In my opinion, it depends on the boat. I have filled holes in old boats that we drilled by others but didn't need to be there anymore with 5200 or marine tex epoxy.  I didn't even discuss it with the owner first.  On a new boat, I guess you'd want to own up to it and see what he wanted you to do.  Some people would not be that worried about it as long as it's filled with something.  I'll bet it's rare to have to bring in a pro in these cases.  Talk to him and he may understand that "Crap happens".

jojo

Sigh, I guess I'll make the canvas work with it somehow. Yes, it's fiberglass. And to think I was so proud of myself for screwing 50 snaps into the boat (my first time doing this) and not cracking the coat at all.  I thought I could just get away with filling the hole and they'd never notice. 
Thanks for the advice.

Mike8560

I remeber the first time I had to drill studs into a brand new boat   That first hole. Here goese
then for a bow cover under the openeing window it didn't take clip on snaps so I had to drill  and fudge where the glass was in the frame I was off a bit and  hit the glass suTtee this was for a dealor on. Boat to be picked up when I was done.  Just licily the dealor owner te understanding and had a spare center window   Whew !

DBR1957

How close is the wrong hole to where it was supposed to be? If it's close enough
then you can put a two hole twist fastener in to cover it up and do the same on
the other side.

I've had to be inventive a few times in the past 25 years. I used to worry about
it a lot if I made even the smallest mark on a customer's boat. When I started
noticeing all of the factory screw ups I stopped worrying about it. I would always
fix something I did if I could or have it fixed. But rule #1 is you always tell the
customer. Customers appreciate honesty. They may not be happy but they will
respect you and probably come back. 99% of the time (the few times I've goofed)
my customer would say thanks for being upfront.

I had a missed drilled hole before and when I told the customer he said, "You know, that looks like a good place for a fender hook."

Mojo

I had one on a motorcoach once. I have never made that mistake again. I filled it with epoxy and it thankfully matched the color of the coach. I knew where the hole was but no one else did. :)

I still get the willies every time I drill into the side of an RV. My big problem is having to watch for wiring in the walls not to mention a misplaced snap hole.

Chris

Mike8560

I was mKing a 5th wheel cover instaling fastners  and was worrind about going InTo far with the drill. Didn't think about the wiring in was low around the area making the cover.   

Peppy

I was installing a bimini on a boat at a dealer on a friday afternoon. I was installing 2 deckmounts on the window. OOoooppps!!!! The dealer and the boss watched me drill through and shatter the window. D'oh! Luckily the manufacturer was local and the customer still got the boat. Haste makes waste!

Good advice DBR1957
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

jojo

Thanks guys, for making me realize it could be worse!  :P

Mike8560

Besides breaking 2 windows in the past the dumest thing I think was on a cc biminmost Bimini wirh leg have them to the rear but a cc usualy has them to the front  but this dealor was olways to the rear nso we were installing this top and before it was noticed the holes
were drilled for front legs instead of on the rear  the strap eye pads didn't cover the holes so I ended up being able to make four legs

JuneC

Marine-Tex works great - I use it a lot in stripped out holes when I'm replacing rivets with screws, but I'd never do anything without the customer's knowledge.  I've watched our fiberglass guy work with gelcoat and I have to believe it's something any of us could to with a little practice.  Problem is, time to practice.  I'd like to learn - as well as how to patch vinyl like the "Dr. Vinyl" and similar companies do.  So much to learn, so little time.

As an aside, did you guys know SEM now has a marine vinyl color coat?  I haven't tried it yet, but it might be an option for some fixes where the vinyl is still soft but sunburned.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

What make it marine June?
In the past before I knew I had some mEier on foam burn through the new vinyl I had done. 
So I  olof if all with sem Nd worked  good white  vinyl.  I don't know how long it held up or if in time rhe marks burned through I never heard