Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 12:31:07 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Help! Binding Replacement

Started by jojo, July 27, 2011, 07:59:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Is there any way to replace the binding around the edge of a boat cover (with snaps) without replacing the snaps. The snaps are pretty close to the edge and I don't have a zipper foot.
I tried to sew without the outer foot on my walking foot machine, but didn't get anywhere. Any tips?
Thanks guys!
Jo

bobbin

If you can't drive by the snaps with the regular foot then I'd say, no.  That's a common issue I face in the course of repair work, too.  If the binding is in OK shape you can usually just restitch it in place.  I opt for the following 2 procedures:
1.)  drive off the binding and around the snaps keeping the foot as close to the snap as possible, the unstitched portion in front of the snap isn't going anywhere and the "missed stitching" is not significant.
2.)  tack before and after the snap (this sucks), but sometimes you have to.

If the customer balks at those 2 options then remove the snaps and rebind, but make sure you get full mark up on all your materials!  Customers have a way of becoming less fussy when the cold, hard reality of "time and materials" is put before them. 

I suggest you order zipper feet for your machine.  Buy both the narrow and wide inside foot and a right and left side outside foot (these come in a very narrow or wider size, too).  They come in very handy for a variety of other uses.  I keep mine in my handbag because Boss is too cheap to buy any for the shop and I refuse to struggle any more than I absolutely have to. 

Mike8560

Yes to do it right I'll remove the snaps this  is easistly done with a pair of side cutters/dikes just get them under a socket and pop them of.  Some may be a bit stubborn. 
If the cilutomet dosent want to osy for née snaps the. I canjshaly rebinding with them and when there too close I lift my foot and slowlbind past them b hand to get past the snap.
Is stitched  may e your machine won't sew with the foot up I can actiall lift the foot hold the fabrc down and sew back and forth     

jojo

Thanks guys, I ended up replacing the snaps. It only took forever. Ugh! I never thought I'd need a zipper foot, because I've done hundreds of zippers without one. Time to buy one.

Mike8560

Jojo i used  to drill mine off till
one day a guy at a marina  Showed me how he did it   with side cutters works easy

jojo

Yep, that's what I ended up doing; I too tried to drill, but somehow had no luck, and it seemed to take forever.

regalman190

I used to drill too. Now I cut them off.

If I can go around them, I will. Otherwise I replace the ones I can't go around.
Regal Canvas

bobbin

I cut them off, too.  Drilling works but it's risky.  Too easy to have the drill spin out of control and then you're porked.  I prefer dikes with the curved jaws, they will get right up under the snap and not cut the fabric. 

Peppy

Funny, I had to drill some snaps off today. I was in the field and forgot my side cutters. I like using a big bit like a 3/16" and vise grips to hold the snap. Way quicker to use the side cutters though.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Mike8560

What  the heck you doing in a veils it too dirty and buggy. Sposed to be down the hot  marina. ;)