Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 17, 2024, 01:50:01 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New Fabric..Has Anyone Ever Used This?

Started by jojo, July 21, 2011, 05:32:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Hi,
Rochford Supply has a new fabric called Aqua Gun, and it's only 6.88 yd! Does anyone have any experience with it? Debating on whether to use it for boat covers.

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Boating_and_Marine/Textiles/Aqua_Gun_-_Solution_Dyed_Polyester/index.html

Grebo

Sorry Jojo I have nothing with that name.

Suzi

jojo

Thanks Suzi. Based on the description, would you use it? What do you guys look for when choosing boat cover fabrics? Guarantee? Or is it enough to know the weight, denier, etc.? Or do you let the customer dictate?
My customers aren't that educated about fabrics. Most of them know Sunbrella, but I don't think they'd care what I use.
Of course, it would be terrible to have the cover wear out in a year.

Mike8560

I've seems stuff that may be sim
ilar lime I thi k it was deck ate made by Boyle.
Most customers ask and know sunbrella. But why not give it a shot it looks SIMM to top gun isn't it ?
The price is right  maybe pass on the saving to try it out    If it's good the. Normal cost from then on

Bob T

My experience with polyester fabrics is they just don't hold up to the UV damage like acrylic fabrics.  Figure most sailboat sails are made of polyester, but you never see sailcloth used as a protective cover.  Polyester might be ok for a stored-inside boat to protect from dust, etc. but I wouldn't use it to protect from UV.

Mojo

Quote from: Bob T on July 21, 2011, 01:19:13 pm
My experience with polyester fabrics is they just don't hold up to the UV damage like acrylic fabrics.  Figure most sailboat sails are made of polyester, but you never see sailcloth used as a protective cover.  Polyester might be ok for a stored-inside boat to protect from dust, etc. but I wouldn't use it to protect from UV.

I agree with Bob. I used to buy alot of cover material from Rochford. Some were awesome and some of it was junk. I ended up going to Miami and sole sourcing all of my fabrics through Mike. I got burned with to much junk from Rochford and quit dealing with them. ( Thread, snaps, farbic, etc. ) That and their shipping costs are very high.

JMHO,

Chris

bobbin

Most of what leaves the shop I work for is 100% solution dyed acrylic (Glen Raven, Sattler, Recacril, Dixon) or we use Stamoid. 

I used to work for a shop that used Top Gun to make some stuff for racing kayaks, and we will use a product called Harbor Time to do screen enclosures for residential use.  But for marine work, acrylic seems to "rule the roost".