Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 28, 2024, 07:10:36 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Trunk lid help

Started by cruiser, July 11, 2011, 07:41:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cruiser

1941 Chevrolet business coupe.  This is a street rod.   I'm trying to finish up this project and seem to have hit a wall for some reason.   I'm doing the inside of the trunk lid.  Upholstering the inside of this thing is like doing the inside of an egg shell.  It curves several ways.  Will glue hold the foam and fabric to panel in the summer heat?   

I've got several concerns. The first one being will the ulta vinyl I'm using wrinkle if I glue it to a flat panel then bow it in?

For design should I just keep in simple?   Just stretch fabric over it and forget it or should I fabricate a design in it to complement the rest of the interior.  Few people even look up into a trunk  lid at most shows.   

Thanks you for the thoughts in advance.

kodydog

July 11, 2011, 10:06:19 am #1 Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 10:12:23 am by kodydog
I'm not a car guy but wouldn't this be similar to a glued in head liner. Gotta make sure to get high temp spray glue. One of these hot rod guys can tell you which one is the best.

If the curve isn't too radical the puckers in the vinyl should stretch out, just make sure to use plenty of glue, I'd start in the center and let the glue dry before you start stretching the edges. Probably want to do more rubbing with one hand while pulling with the other.  That's how I do it on furniture anyways.

Was the trunk lid upholstered before? I'm curious how it gets trimmed.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

DBR1957

Never done  a trunk lid but I think it would be similar to curved boat panels.

Usually glue will fail if it is exposed to high temps on a continual basis. If this is
a show piece you're working on I doubt it will be left out in the sun day in and
day out.

One trick I use if I'm gluing to a board first is to over bend the board while
covering it. When I fasten it in place it will pull the material tighter.

You could always roll & pleat or button. Doing so helps the material form to
curved pieces.

cruiser

Good thoughts.    I'll be searching for the right glue.   Not sure what pleats or tucks I'll design for it though.  The origional had nothing.  Just  a little sound deadener.   

Thanks.

SHHR

There's so many different ways you could shape the board. I would personally carry any design or theme from the interior into the trunk. It's true most don't look into a trunk at shows, but it will gain you recognition for a trimmer who pays attention to details. For the glue; Weldwood will hold just fine. I did a one piece formed headliner and a trunk lid on a black 51 ford with no air conditioning a few years ago and all the material is holding great. I used 1/4' closed cell foam with ultraleather stretched over it with the old ford crest inlaid in the foam and nothing had budged from where i put it in.

Kyle

cruiser

July 12, 2011, 03:30:46 am #5 Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 03:31:32 am by cruiser
Closed cell foam sounds just like the solution to my problem.  Perfect.   I think my brain went dim for a bit.

Thanks Kyle and everyone.  I think I got this thing moving forward again.