Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 09:42:44 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

question

Started by christwo, July 03, 2011, 06:39:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

christwo

is it normal for the machine to have trouble feeding fabric when going over different variations in height, for instance going over a part where two existing seems meet, is it normal for the machine to not pull it its normal stitch length? could it be the feed dog not coming up high enough to grab all of the material when the back of the foot is on the high part of the seam and the front part of the foot is back on flat material? and also, when do you want to adjust the pressure of the foot, for what would be the variations of pressure for what fabric and what type of sewing?

Mike8560

If I'm sewing and meet a think section of multiple larer or a zippper
or some binding my machine can need help getting the thickness  to lass under the foot by me lifting the foot a bit manualy  but
will pull it on it's own after helped

kodydog

Yep, what Mike said. For me its sewing over welt cord. Always needs a little help their.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SHHR

I use a Consew 205 that has that problem. but it's not a needle feed machine (just a walking foot) It will hang up or alter the stitch length when sewing across a thicker area like a seam or welt. I've used compound walking foot/needle feed machines that are more forgiving in those areas. My 205 works great but I have to be careful on topstitching usually hand wheeling it over cross seams or welts.
Kyle

christwo

i adjusted the height of the feed dog as well as decreased the pressure of the foot, and it actually made a huge difference, i can still see there are times where i will have to provide a bit of assistance to get over certain areas, but all in all its much much better

fragged8

hehe I just push the little high step button I have on mine  :P

Rich

Mike8560

H ya rub if in Rich
all thoose bells and whistles

Chill

there is a little doo-dad made to overcome that problem
http://sewfordough.wordpress.com/2009/05/07/jean-a-ma-jigwhat-is-that/
It lifts the "heel" of the presser foot, you can get the same results by folding a piece of vinyl a few times and using it to set the foot on.

christwo

Makes perfect sense, just supplies a level surface for even foot presure and feed, i figured that was why that happenend. However, by decreasing the foot pressure and lifting the feed dog it definitely eased the issue without compromising the stitch pattern, and assumeably the integrity should still be fine. I imagine that will have to be altered dependent on the fabric, its thickness as well as layers. Learned allot through that problem actually.