Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 07:35:01 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

1947 plymouth seats

Started by edward, June 30, 2011, 10:44:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

edward

When i purchased this car, it had been a flood of 1993 victim. The interior was full of dried mud. The car had sat in field for several years. I stripped the seats of all cotton, fabric, and varmints nests. I put a piece of cheap foam and wrapped them in cloth to be usable. Not much support. My question, does anyone have a system of replacing the cotton and hair? example 1 inch of this, 1 inch of that. Can I use a high density foam on top of the springs to bring back firmness? One person recommended remove springs and build back up with foam? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

fragged8

hiya

what you need is the Sid Chavers videos, google his website
and give him a call, when i rang him he seemed to be a man of
few words but nice all the same.

Rich

Hell Bat

I had read not to long a go,but didn't find to post for ya,that a guy put floor mats on old springs then foam so springs didn't eat foam up and did the rest like noruml

edward

I talked to Sid Chavers's partner (sorry forgot his name) while in Louisville,Ky a few years ago. He was the one recommended removing springs. I have watched his videos several times.

SHHR

If you're wanting originality, keep the springs (although they may need replaced due to sagging). If you do; wrap the top of the spring bed with burlap or denim then add your cotton or foam. if yours are coil spring you can wad up cotton batting and stuff in the coils to firm them up too, and as you can imagine with the bed of springs it doesn't allow much room for a thick enough layer of foam (or cotton) on top for much comfort. You'll have a good looking seat that's firm enough, but you'll still feel like you're riding in a 1940s car.
However if originality is not an issue and you want to keep the stock frames, cut out the springs and use a good med. density foam. There are a few ways you can go about this and will need a solid bed to lay the foam on (fix a piece of 1/2" plywood to the stock frame with sheet metal screws).

If you're coming to the nats in Louisville this year send me a message on here and I may be able to help out with some advice. My shop is about an hour north east of Louisville and I'll be down there most every day.
Kyle