Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 04:15:58 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

TIG welding

Started by fragged8, August 16, 2010, 12:17:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fragged8

hiya

Would anyone know anything about welding boat frames in situ ?

I've seen something about it a while ago when i went to a show in
the US

It just so happens i bought a TIG welder/plasma cutter this week
so i can do small stainless mods on customers frames and was wondering
if i could do some of it on their boats.

rich

SHHR

You should be able to do about any thing with it. I'm sure you already know but it welds on D.C. polarity for all ferrous metal like steel, iron, and stainless steel. If you plan on doing aluminum The welder will have to be A.C. polarity cabable with high frequency for starting the arc. When welding with it try to keep your ground relatively close to where you're welding at especially if there is anything electric (light, motors, pumps, etc) hooked to where you're welding at. It is possible for the current to feed back through and burn up or damage electronics. The close proximity ground will fix that or just unhook whatever is there when welding.

Just keep your tungsten sharp and clean. Also If your new to tig welding wear good thin leather gloves, if not and you accidently dip the tip into your weld you may get a little jolt :o.

Kyle

SHHR

Also the heat stays fairly concentrated but does spread out so be carefull close to mounting points at the hull it will burn the fiberglass or wood
Kyle

fragged8

hiya

Thanks for the tips, all good stuff. I am used to mig welding but this new beast
will take a little getting used to.

I've only used one once and it seemed like gas welding, I got this because a
customer wants a coupleof small mods doing and i don't want the frame to be at the
fabricators for weeks waiting for them to get around to it, if you know what i mean.

Rich

SHHR

It's a handy tool that you won't regret that you got. You're right, it takes the same tecnique as gas welding, If you can control that you can undoubtedly tig.
Kyle

fragged8

to be honest needles i've not used it very much but it's a handy
bit of kit to have around. I intend to make a radar arch for my boat
when i get some time.

I have done a paid job with it and am sure it won't  be the last, in the past
I have done some gas welding so the skills are pretty similar and made it fairly
easy for me.

you don't need a TIG for making frames at all, just get the bending jig from
northcoast marine it will bend up to 1 1/4" tobe for 95% of any frames you need. thats what I use. I think it was about $150 US for the bender, you can make that back on the first 2 frames you make

if you do buy one buy the frame tool as well, all you need is set the frame tool on the boat to the height of frame you want, measure the beam between the mounts and you can go bend up a full frame in about an hour.
rich

Allan

Rich

One of the biggest problems with Tig is welding in the open as any breeze will blow the gas away and give you a crappy weld.
Spatter is not a big issue with Tig however something you need to be aware of.
It is the sort of thing you should probably take back to the workshop to do.

Allan