Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 06:24:12 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

convertible top for jeepster

Started by Uncle Lar, June 16, 2011, 04:17:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Lar

I have a customer who is bringing me this 1950 ish jeepster to install the top for him, someone who I have done work for before.  When he called me on this, he had already purchased the top, and at present I don't know who made it.  Does anyone have a general idea what could be expected to install a top on an earlier jeepster?  I'd like to have a general idea before I start this project.  Thanks.

ncydmn

If you are familiar with installing convertible tops you should expect a full day on the Jeepster.  If you are not experienced with soft tops your dealing with a more difficult install and should plan on at least two days, possibly longer.  Make sure you check the condition of the wood bows when the customer brings it in.  They are very prone to dry rot, deterioration at the corners, and where your wire-on tips mount.  My experience is most owners (especially ones who bring there own tops) don't want to spend what it costs for new bows.  They usually try to patch them up with puddy for the quick fix.

Uncle Lar

Thanks for the info.  I do install tops on later models cars, but the jeepster is older and different design than i'm used to.  The owner said he has had the top frame blasted and painted, and new wood installed.  This is both good and bad as I see it.  I'm not sure if the top would still be in adjustment, all the old top has been removed and I have lost reference marks from where the old top was attached.  Hopefully he has what's left of the old top.  I saw the car last year, and there wasn't much of the old top left then.  I'm thinking 3 days.....

stitcher_guy

I redid a Jeepster for a Shriner. They have Jeepster corps for parades. Great to see so many going at once. This one got new carpet, White and black striped seats and a new top. Plus I made custom side curtains for it. They are relatively easy to install because you don't have to climb down in the back and work with a tacking bar like the newer model cars. Just pull smooth around the back corners and staple on. Just be aware of pulling too tight and causing stretch marks. And if you think about it, there's not a whole lot to adjustment on those. They weren't the best fit up vehicles going at the time to begin with. you shouldn't have any trouble.