Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 02:27:33 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

feet for CM406RBL-18

Started by nyuphol, June 03, 2011, 08:43:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nyuphol

Does any one know whos sells feet for a Chandler CM406RBL-18

The consew 206rb feet are suppose to be the same but they don't seam to work to good for us.

Should these interchange?

Mojo

I have the same Chandler but in the shorter arm. I use feet designed for the Consew 206 rb and the similar juki models and have no problems.

I have had to file a couple down to make them work. I just ordered several new feet on E0Bay ( they were the chrome versions not the black ones ) and they fit perfectly.

These are the feet I ordered and the supplier - http://cgi.ebay.com/WALKING-FOOT-CONSEW-206RB5-WELTING-FEET-3-8-/350420259577?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5196acd2f9#ht_4592wt_905

I know this seller is very good about exchanging parts that may not work or are right. You surely cannot beat his prices. )

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Two things;

Yes, Consew 206RB and CM406 use the same feet.

Second, who is selling feet that don't work, and what are they doing (if anything) for you?

sofadoc

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on June 03, 2011, 01:13:05 pm
who is selling feet that don't work, and what are they doing (if anything) for you?

I've bought welt feet from Gregg, and I've bought some from the E-bay stores. The E-bay stores are always willing to send out a new set if you have problems. I've had to grind every set that I've bought off E-bay.
I bought a set of 1/2" welt feet from Gregg. They won't work unless I grind them. 
Why hasn't Gregg taken them back? Because I never asked him to. I'm holding open the possibility that my machine needs adjustment. When, and if my machine goes in the shop for something more pressing, then I'll see if the presser bar, and/or needle bar can be adjusted. Until then, I'll grind the cheap ones. Once I'm sure that my machine is fully squared away, I'll use the ones I bought from Gregg.
I only have this problem with large welt feet, such as 1/2". My 1/4" foot that I normally use doesn't give me any problems.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Greg:

I know you stand behind the products you sell just like Bob does and I greatly appreciate that. But something as simple as a foot that doesn't fit can become a major problem when your back is against the wall with a tight schedule.

If I have a deadline to meet I cannot afford to ship feet back and forth to a dealer till I get one that works. I have one customer ( an RV dealer ) that gives me a 48 hour time line on each order. It will take that much time to get the foot sent back to you and then I have to wait for a new one to get shipped. I am assuming tis is the reason sofadoc didn't send back your foot that didn't fit and ground it down instead.

As Doc said, if I am going to have to grind or file a foot I am much happier doing it on a foot that costs me
$ 14 versus $ 30 or more. :)

Is there anyway that you and Bob can install the foot on a like machine in your shop to ensure it fits and works properly before shipping it ? I really do not know I am just asking if its feasible.

I am not going to be a happy camper if I pay more money for a foot that doesn't fit properly and I have to ship it back for a replacement while at the same time trying to keep my customer at bay. If I lost a $ 1,000 job over a $ 30 foot I am going to be livid.

I have had great luck with the chrome feet from this e-bay supplier. All of them that I have bought have fit perfectly and are very high quality. I have not had to make any adjustments to them at all which is why I have not bought any from you or Bob. I discussed this with Bob and he didn't have a problem with it as long as my needs were being met.

What can be done to ensure the feet will fit before you or Bob ship them ? In our business ( just like
yours ) time is money and none of us can afford to be down waiting on another foot if the first one doesn't fit.

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

June 04, 2011, 04:57:00 am #5 Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 05:02:46 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
Quote from: Mojo on June 03, 2011, 07:37:37 pm
Greg:
If I lost a $ 1,000 job over a $ 30 foot I am going to be livid.
Chris

The fact that you are making $1,000 off a set of presser feet is an oUTr@ge!  My prices need to go up to reflect this!

On a very serious note, this is example 1,043 of why I am here; I WANT to know what is going on out there in the field, and what concerns people have.  When people are discussing 'grinding down feet', I am thinking that people need to grind the inside/outside toe to make them work.  Most of the time, I'm selling our most popular size 1/4", and grinding the TOP so the the needle bar does not crash into the top of the presser foot IS a concern on SOME model machines.  Some machines have a needle bar thread guide that is lower than others, but that use the same feet.  

Anyway, moving forward, I would have liked to know the problem with the feet as soon as the problem came up, but I guess beter late than never.  

In the future, (or the past in this case) I can find out what feet people are ordering AND for what machine model, and then ensure by simply installing them to see if the needle bar will clear the presser fhittingout hittting.  If not, I can them cut them either mill (in our machine shop) or grind them down to ensure proper fitting.  I wouopportunity oppertunity to provide real service to my customers other thaperceiveome percieve to be mail order parts.  

sofadoc

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on June 04, 2011, 04:57:00 am
Anyway, moving forward, I would have liked to know the problem with the feet as soon as the problem came up, but I guess beter late than never. 

Gregg: Sorry, I certainly didn't mean to "blindside" you. Actually, we have discussed this problem over the phone. But only in passing. I always felt like it was my machine that was the problem.
Refer to this thread for the picture I posted:
http://get-up-and-go.com/upholstery-forum/index.php?topic=10102.0
Even though I ground the cheapo ones on the right, they STILL strike the needle bar when I'm sewing 2 layers of tapestry, and braided rope.
The ones on the left (yours) strike the needle bar even with the thread guide removed.
I found a SM mechanic that does house calls in my area. I'm going to have him look at my machine, and possibly make adjustments. Then we can go from there.
He's supposed to come out tomorrow.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

June 05, 2011, 10:50:07 am #7 Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 06:03:10 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
Sofadoc,

No way a blind side.

Another opportunity for me to sharpen my sword and improve for next time, or even for you in the near future, if called upon.  

sofadoc

A FOLLOW-UP ON MY PREVIOUS POST:
The SM repairman came out today. He came from Ft. Worth (80 miles away). He worked on the machine for 1.5 hours. Total charge: $125 (Too cheap, if you ask me). Anyway, he adjusted the rear presser bar. Now my larger welt feet don't rub together.  I think I might still have to shave off the tops of the feet so the needle bar doesn't strike them. But since that doesn't alter the design of the feet's working surface, I don't mind doing that.
So my quest for a local SM mechanic is over, at least for now (the guy's 77 years old).

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: sofadoc on June 06, 2011, 06:05:04 pm
A FOLLOW-UP ON MY PREVIOUS POST:
The SM repairman came out today. He came from Ft. Worth (80 miles away). He worked on the machine for 1.5 hours. Total charge: $125 (Too cheap, if you ask me). Anyway, he adjusted the rear presser bar. Now my larger welt feet don't rub together.  I think I might still have to shave off the tops of the feet so the needle bar doesn't strike them. But since that doesn't alter the design of the feet's working surface, I don't mind doing that.
So my quest for a local SM mechanic is over, at least for now (the guy's 77 years old).

The population of sewing machines mechanics is growing long in the tooth for sure, and it's no different anywhere in the US.  Very few guys are replacing the old guard.

sofadoc

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on June 07, 2011, 06:06:39 am
The population of sewing machines mechanics is growing long in the tooth for sure, and it's no different anywhere in the US.  Very few guys are replacing the old guard.

Well, it only stands to reason that as the population of stitchers ages, so will the ones who serve them.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: sofadoc on June 07, 2011, 02:53:10 pm

Well, it only stands to reason that as the population of stitchers ages, so will the ones who serve them.

Yeah, I guess, I don't know.  I hope that's not the case, that there are some folks up an comming who want to get inmanufacturerfacture of sewn products. 

I will say, we are used to supporting factories with full time mechanics, but I can hardly remember the last machine I sold that didn't go into a basement, garage, or the like. 

Mojo

Very few young guys are going into that trade. You and Bobby ( Bobs son who is your age ) are the only young ones I have heard of and both were raised in the business.

I bet if more young kids knew that you guys make a 6 figure income as a sewing machine mechanic and get to sit down all day while doing the work, more would go into the trade. BTW, I am just basing these income projections on the high prices you and Bob charge for machines and parts.  :o     ;D    ;D   :D

Chris