Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 02:35:55 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How I measure for welt cord cut on the bias.

Started by gene, June 12, 2011, 08:02:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

It's great when you can cut 76" of bias strips for your fabric. (This is the longest length on a 54" bolt of fabric if you cut at a 45 degree angle.)

But sometimes I need to cut on the bias and I also need to conserve as much of the fabric as possible because I just don't have much excess fabric to waste.

This is how I figure out exactly how much fabric I need for my welt cord:

Example:

I have a sofa that needs 950" of welt cord. I am going to cut the fabric on the bias.

My fabric is 54" wide.

My welt cord strips of fabric will be 1 1/2" wide.

54" divided into 950" = 17.6

I need 17.6 strips of fabric. I round up to 18 strips of fabric.

18 x 1 1/2" = 27".

If I cut 27" of my 54" wide fabric, and cut this on the bias, I will have my 950" of fabric for my welt cord.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mike8560

I userstand fir  a full  strips at a 45• you need 950"  and get 27" out of it   
But you will have 2 triangle pieces one at each end do you not  you this material to make shorter strips ?
I no any strip shorted then say 30" would be silly  but  it would use less in a pinch.
I  don't use fabric much o. Boat unless it's inside  and not much inside work is done I Hesse it not that important to most  by the tine the insides bad they get a new boat   And the guy buying a older boat don't care so much   

MinUph

Gene,
  I just order enough fabric to accommodate bias welt. 1 1/2 extra for a chair and 3 for a sofa.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Those triangle pieces left at the end will usually do for something, such as a skirt flap, or a front arm panel.
Gene: Based on those figures, how long is your shortest strip?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

In this example I rounded up to a full 18 strips. This gives me extra inches. I do lose a few inches on each strip when I sew them together on the diagonal. I also only go down to about a 15" strip. What's left is the triangle you are talking about.

The thing to remember is the stretch on the bias. I have never gone short on welt cord with this method.

And, I certainly prefer to add yardage to the total to allow for the welt cord.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Cheryl

Gene,  I have always found that since it stretches on the bias..  there is  ALWYAS way more than you  can mathematically account for.   

Nice formula. :-)
   Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.