Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 07, 2024, 08:04:05 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Million Dollar Mentality

Started by RandyOnR3, May 25, 2011, 08:22:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RandyOnR3

I bring this subject up because of an event that took place earlier today...
I was called out to repair zippers on the rear of an inclosure, and when I arrived, and saw the issue, I almost had to chuckle inside..
 To save a few dollars, the customer had taken the project to another shop, and the other shop, known to cut corners, had sewn the new zipper over the old and then cut the teeth off the old, leaving behind, the nasty, remains of the old zipper,
 And I realized that this is something we would have never concidered doing and the reasoning behind it was, we have an attitude of quality from working on "Mega" Yachts.. This is the same quality we hold in all our work, even down to replacing seats on a 14 foot tender..
  The customer now has to pay, an extra amount for us to fix the issue that someone else has created..
And with all businesses, there are those that deliver and those that dont and without the grunge monkeys, doing crappy work, we wouldnt have anything to compare ours to..
  so instead of bad mouthing the lower class shops, I appluad them....
Think about it, you wouldnt know the good, if it wasnt for the bad................................

fragged8

it's a matter of degrees, as my customer base aren't mega rich with
boats to reflect their income I would price the job taking into consideration
the customer.

Do I sew new over old ? well sure i do because most average customers wouldn't
pay for the full job.

If i thought for one moment the customer would pay for doing the job
as you described then i would do it that way.

Rich

kodydog

Quote from: RandyOnR3 on May 25, 2011, 08:22:05 pm
  so instead of bad mouthing the lower class shops, I appluad them....
Think about it, you wouldnt know the good, if it wasnt for the bad................................

Good point Randy. The only problem I have is the person who has one bad experience and thinks all upholsterers are the same.

Often we get calls for estimates and when we explain all we offer they say, I didn't know there was a difference between one shop and another.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike8560

Just cutting the teeth off with sissors will leave  the old tape racking and the loose strands will jam in the new zip.  I'll cut the old zip off but if the customer just wants a cheap job I cut thebteethe of first. With a hot knife. First to prevent raveling