Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 07, 2024, 02:22:28 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Garage Door Screens

Started by NDAV8R, May 22, 2011, 07:52:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NDAV8R

Hi Gang: 
   As Summer finally approaches in the Dakotas, there are times when I open up my shop overhead doors and get fresh air.  But up here were are plaqued with mesquitoes that can carry you away and make a margarita out of you. And now we are getting more cases of West Niles from the damn things.  I do have AC in the shop, but still like a breeze every now and then.
  I have seen some kits on the web.  Have any of you have or made any such of a door screen? I have two doors that are 10x8'.  Any input?

Thanks,
NDAV8R
Strive for Perfection...Settle for Excellence!

Mojo

I would look into the screens used on RV awnings. They tie into the roller tube and then are attached at the ground providing shade for the RV'er under his patio awning.

Check the Camping World site.

Chris

gene

I have a front door that is mostly glass, and a back door beside my garage door. The garage door is a commercial sized garage door.

Neither the front or back doors are made to take a screen door. I made a wooden frame, attached it to the inside wall around my front door, and hung a screen door into that frame. This screen door opens and closes.

I have a removable screen door on the back door. I cut a standard screen door with a wooden frame to fit into the metal frame of the back door. I slide it into the frame and use a bar to hold it in place.

This gives me the ability to have fresh air flow through my shop without any bugs or people coming in.

Have you thought about buying wood framed screen doors from a Home Depot type place and using them strung together, or hinged together, rather than a permanent screen structure?

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

bobbin

I routinely make screen panels at my "straight job".  They're easy!

You need fibreglass screen and I recommend black ("disappears" better than the grey color); search for Phifer (they make textilene and sunsure).  Typically 60-72" width, but you can get greater widths; if you're lucky and they will cut the yardage you need from the wider stock. 

Plan your primary panel to be centered on the bay opening.  Add partial panels to the central one to get the width you need.  This looks better; it's how draperies are planned.   Use a sturdy fabric to create a border around the perimeter of the panel... we allow at least 2 layers (3 or 4 is better) to support snaps (the tugging on them can pull through fabric with ease and repairs are costly... remove the snap and "beef up" the area... better to build it strong from the get-go).

You will need a pocket at the bottom to receive a rod that will add weight and keep the panel stable at the lower edge.  You can snap the vertical sides to the building if you like.  You can snap it along the top edge, too, or you can use head rod clamps (awning hardware) and put a rod through a casing at the top, too.  I would probably do that, frankly.  It's quick, easy, and you can take it down at the end of the season with minimal effort. 

Easy peasy! and you will instantly turn your garage into a very pleasant work/hang out place!!

Mike8560

Down here many homes have sliding screens that stack up to one side o. There two car garages the screen is like textaline or phifertex and colored to match the house

appage21

Quote from: Mike8560 on May 22, 2011, 11:12:44 am
Down here many homes have sliding screens that stack up to one side o. There two car garages the screen is like textaline or phifertex and colored to match the house

Yes, these were common when I lived in Florida. Don't look like they would be too hard to construct. Where do you live OP?