Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 07, 2024, 05:55:26 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Bobbin winding

Started by Mike8560, May 17, 2011, 02:56:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Joys Shop

Isn't there a split in the post that you put the bobbin on to wind a bobbin as you sew?

If it does have that split, you pull the end of the thread through the hole in the bobbin, then pass it through the split in the post, THEN you put the bobbin on the post

This will hold the thread during the start of the winding

No holding it with your hands, or any fancy foot work to get it started

works like a charm

Grebo

Quote from: Joys Shop on May 18, 2011, 05:46:21 am
Isn't there a split in the post that you put the bobbin on to wind a bobbin as you sew?

If it does have that split, you pull the end of the thread through the hole in the bobbin, then pass it through the split in the post, THEN you put the bobbin on the post

This will hold the thread during the start of the winding

No holding it with your hands, or any fancy foot work to get it started

works like a charm

Strangely enough, not every time. Least not on my machines.  ::)

Suzi

Mojo

Joy:

I have over 100 bobbins that have no hole. They are the aluminum M sized bobbins. I prefer the
slotted bobbins and will have to get in touch with Bob Kovar and order some.

Winding the solid bobbins is a PITA. I typically do two wraps, go under and then back across and hold it to the side. Then start winding.

The slotted bobbins are a piece of cake. Slide the thread through the tiny slot at the bottom and away you go.

I may just take all my thread and bobbins down to Mikes place and let him wind them for me. He loves winding bobbins.........lol..... ;D

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Winding bobbins without holes is a pain, no doubt.  I have a 'clean snap' off method that works great.

I also LOVE that ebay bobbin winder for household machines.  I guess it would work with most industrial bobbins as well. 

There is an automatic bobbin winder for industiral bobbins, but they are $$$.

ajlelectronics

Quote from: Joys Shop on May 18, 2011, 05:46:21 am

Just been to try that and yes, you are right. Seems to do the job, although I was using the hole in the other cheek to start the wind. That's why I couldn't see the wood for the trees! Thankyou.

jsquail

I always buy the bobbins with holes, easier to wind while sewing. Plus I always order 2 spools of thread. I figure it into the cost of the job. No bobbin winding parties here!
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

Joys Shop

I never knew some bobbins come without the holes  ???

What's the sense in that?

Luckily all of mine have the holes

I should mention, that sometimes, even if the thread is pulled through the slot on the post, it still wants to pull off when you start the machine, in those cases, I also wrap the thread around the post once, before putting the bobbin on it

I always buy two spools of thread, one for sewing, and one for the bobbin
then
I keep the bobbins with their matching spool of thread when I store it---that way, no looking for the right color of thread on the bobbin to match the spool

fragged8

my sewer was using the hole but i found that sometimes
the bobbin would bind in the machine because there would
be a little tail of thread poking out that jammed against the
location post in the machine

jsquail

Quote from: Joys Shop on May 18, 2011, 08:48:35 am
I never knew some bobbins come without the holes  ???

My first machine came with no hole bobbins. They left with the garbage man that day.

I typically run my thread out the hole and spring clamp it to the table edge. After a few turns the thread breaks clean.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

Mike8560

I never knew that's what the slot was for. I've always used prewound so much I never looked at it.
Come o. Down Chris  we can  have a winding party

Cheryl

Hmm...  I;ve been on industrial machines winding my own bobbins since I was 17.. all i ever did was wind it a 3 or 4 times, slide it on the post, push the mech forward, snug the tension and  forget it. 
   Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

scottymc

every time this topic comes up it defies logic ::) ::) ;D