Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 03:48:49 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Patterning trick with plastic

Started by jsquail, May 18, 2011, 06:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jsquail

Im sure this has been done before, but I thought i would share what i did to pattern an older top on a Stamas 24.

The top snapped to the windshield in the front and also had one snap on each side then went back to a 2 bow bimini frame. As i was setting up my pattern with 6 mil plastic i started putting duct tape on the plastic where i put the quick fit pins on the top of the windshield. This gave the plastic the strength to hold up to the tension i applied with clamps on the rear bow of the frame. I did use 3 layers of tape at each quick fit pin. 1 piece didn't seem to be as effective as three. With three i was able to tighten it down good and snug. Sorry no pictures of the pattern on the boat.

The other trick i learned is if u need to alter a pattern after you have cleaned it up a cut it out you can always add duct tape to it and re-cut.

Lastly, i learned you can never have enough spring clamps.

Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

Mike8560

May 18, 2011, 06:56:01 pm #1 Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 05:52:44 am by Mike8560
Inuse shrinkwrap tape super stirong and sticky.
Fitting to snaps i , don't use quick fits unless I'm using the end product canvas with astic i e take a length of binding and have snaps evy foot or so. Then I just pull the plastic tight and pit a snap on holding it in place then the next snap on the binding on the next stud.  Ect

Peppy

I make cuts in my pattern paper where the snaps are, then tape it to the boat through the cuts at the snaps. I tap out the snaps with the back of my scissors so the paper lays flat on the boat then tape the cuts back up.

It's very simple despite how I described it.  o_0
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Mike8560

Today I patterned some window and a aft curtian to a Bimini on a 24 glastron. This shows the snap tape holding the pattern to the snaps on the transome
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/photo-114.jpg

scarab29

Duct tape is like the force , it has a light side and a dark side and holds the universe together !!

I , like Mike , made a piece of webbing and put in snaps every 10-12 inches for attaching my patttern material. On the frames , I tape them and then use double sided seam tape.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

fragged8

I have a snap tape in my toolbox but every boat i'm getting
at the moment has lift the dots :-(  i don't like them much.

I snip the plastic with scissors at each LTD..

one thing i did learn when cutting the LTD holes on the completed top
is the main center hole in the EZ cutter slips over the LTD post
on the boat and is then perfectly aligned to cut the fabric.