Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 07, 2024, 06:28:18 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sailrite swing binder max material thickness

Started by SoInTrouble, May 11, 2011, 04:26:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SoInTrouble

I would like to bind sun visors.  They are 1/4" thick.  What material thickness will fit through the 3/4" sailrite swing binder?

Thanks.

jsquail

May 11, 2011, 05:57:18 pm #1 Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 04:40:38 am by jsquail
yeah. i think thats gonna be very tight, if not impossible. I have a 1 inch swing arm i use for marine canvas, and I can see where i could not get 1/4 inch through it.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

Mojo

I just went and measured my Sailrite swing away 3/4 inch binder and it has a 1/4 inch throat at the exit point of the binder.

I could not see a way to modify the throat to make it larger.

Chris

SoInTrouble

Thanks for the replies.  I also spoke to a sailrite rep, and he said the concave curve will not work with a binder.

I guess I will be attempting to hand feed it.

Mike8560

The problem I see is binding so thing 1/4" thick with 3/4" binding being enough to wrap it.
I've bound carpet with my. 3/4" but somtimes it misses 1" is better not to say it couldn't be done

SoInTrouble

That is a good point.  Using a 1 inch binder sounds like a better idea.  The sailrite rep also made mentioned that.  I think I might try hand feeding one.  If that doesn't work I might look at reducing the 1/4 inch thickness by triming the foam so it is just inside of the stitchline.

Mojo

Quote from: SoInTrouble on May 12, 2011, 08:24:50 pm
That is a good point.  Using a 1 inch binder sounds like a better idea.  The sailrite rep also made mentioned that.  I think I might try hand feeding one.  If that doesn't work I might look at reducing the 1/4 inch thickness by triming the foam so it is just inside of the stitchline.

You maybe surprised to see just how much thin foam will compress. It very well may fit into the 3/4 inch binder.

I have bound outdoor carpet with mine before and while it was a tight fit, it did feed through.

Chris

baileyuph

May 13, 2011, 05:59:44 am #7 Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 06:07:03 am by DB
To clarify what might be implied here;  If your expectation while binding a sunvisor is; the visor (as you said is 1/4 inch thick) goes through the swing binder, that is not the technical process involved at all.  Only the binding tape passes through the binder, not the visor itself.  The binders function is to fold the binding around the visor immediately before the needle passes through the visor.  It does this just before the visor passes under the needle.

When carpet is bound, same situation, it does not flow through the binder or folder itself.  The binding tape is wrapped around the carpet without the carpet passing through the binder.

In discussion it seems binder and folder often is used to mean the same device.  They are not, a literal binder is required for any professional result when doing visors.  In a swing away device, usually a folder is what is being used.  Again, a folder will not yield professional results in visor binder requirements.

There are a couple of equipment guys related to this site, Bob Kovar and Greg.  If you don't have someone local to discuss the technicalities associated with what you are doing, a good start with either of these guys is suggested.  They can either answer your questions or make good referrals.  I am suggesting the technicalities associated with what you are doing far exceed using a swing away device with a folder attached to it, if that is the case in this discussion.  

Doyle

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

http://www.keysew.com/DemoFiles/SunVisor.jpg

I'm working on an estimate right now for the visors in the pic above for some 60's classic cars.

Few things here;

• Sun visors are tough to sew correctly

• A generic binder by itself like Sailright or myself sell will not get it done

• In order to get this job done correctly, you really need a custom attachment with parts (parts means foot, feeder, needle plate) specific for your machine

Anything less less and your going to really struggle.  If you like, you can send samples with binding materials and I work up a free quote, but figure about $400 rasomething for somthing that is going to work.  

Mike8560

My binder has a folded slot that the binding goes in the visor or whatever fits inside the curved folded binding tape inside the curve of the binder the carpet ca vas or a visor would have to fit within the binder
Quote from: DB on May 13, 2011, 05:59:44 am
To clarify what might be implied here;  If your expectation while binding a sunvisor is; the visor (as you said is 1/4 inch thick) goes through the swing binder, that is not the technical process involved at all.  Only the binding tape passes through the binder, not the visor itself.  The binders function is to fold the binding around the visor immediately before the needle passes through the visor.  It does this just before the visor passes under the needle.

When carpet is bound, same situation, it does not flow through the binder or folder itself.  The binding tape is wrapped around the carpet without the carpet passing through the binder.

In discussion it seems binder and folder often is used to mean the same device.  They are not, a literal binder is required for any professional result when doing visors.  In a swing away device, usually a folder is what is being used.  Again, a folder will not yield professional results in visor binder requirements.

There are a couple of equipment guys related to this site, Bob Kovar and Greg.  If you don't have someone local to discuss the technicalities associated with what you are doing, a good start with either of these guys is suggested.  They can either answer your questions or make good referrals.  I am suggesting the technicalities associated with what you are doing far exceed using a swing away device with a folder attached to it, if that is the case in this discussion.  

Doyle