Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 04:26:00 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

sewing machine auctions

Started by daveich, April 25, 2011, 12:17:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

daveich

government auction online for fort carson co. even a couple of two needle machines. the picture do not show much and it looks like pick them up there only. don

bobbin

daveich

at web side http://www.govliquidation.com/ keyword search (sewing machine) click on picture it will open another window with pictures of the machines. don

kodydog

At $150 it would be worth checking out if you lived close enough.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

They're not too forthcoming with model #'s. And I love those informative photos of sewing machines fully encased in their shrink wrap cocoons.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: sofadoc on April 25, 2011, 08:28:05 pm
They're not too forthcoming with model #'s. And I love those informative photos of sewing machines fully encased in their shrink wrap cocoons.

I hear ya.  I just was looking at a 'CONSEW 733R' that was literally a Singer from the 60's based of S/N.  Oh, and BTW they failed to take a pic of the front of the machine that woalmostsost certainly have  a "Singer" sticker on it.

This machine sold for just over $1,000, I'm assuming based off the belief that it was in fact really a Consew 733 series machine.  Interestingtresting site none the less. 

bobbin

This is a perfect example of why I tend to buy from a local dealer.

I'm no "newbie" to machinery (30+ yrs. in the needle trade) and I won't pass up a cherry deal on something I know I need/want (I'm always on the prowl).  But you'd better believe I expect full disclosure and full information on any website selling machinery!!!  That site was piss poor IMO. 

I have a long standing relationship with a great local mechanic and I've bought 2 brand new machines from him in the past 10yrs..  He knows me, he knows I'm always looking, and he knows that I'm no dummy when it comes to machinery.  He also knows that I'm a realist and I'm willing to "coddle" elderly machinery.  We understand each other.   This is professional respect.  He never hesitates to send potential customers to me to "check out" machinery and I never fail to accommodate them.  I have unusual pcs. of equipment and seeing/trying them can oftentimes make the sale for him. 

What that means is that when I "find a deal" I don't "nickel and dime" him when it needs attention.  In short, I don't expect miracles from him.  We work together. 

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on April 28, 2011, 02:26:49 pm
This is a perfect example of why I tend to buy from a local dealer.

I have a long standing relationship with a great local mechanic   

I posted on this topic a few weeks ago. The only 2 industrial sewing machine service/sales centers in the Dallas area (that I know of) recently closed. One had been in business for over 60 years.
I don't have any sewing machine issues at present, but if a problem came up, I really don't know where I'd go.
There are still several domestic sewing places in the DFW area, but most of them really aren't even interested in working on walking foot machines.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

I will be interested to hear how you make out with respect to a competent local mechanic, Sofa..  You and I both know how important they are and we appreciate their skill. 

I suspect what you're experiencing in your area is going to spread like a bad rash across the rest of the country in not too much time.  I quake in my boots at the thought, frankly.  But I guess it goes hand in hand with the loss of manufacturing in the needle trades.   Makes me really sad, but also tells me that a there is opportunity for a skilled person willing to put the whole shebang on wheels.  I'd be willing to pay for it!