Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 31, 2024, 05:16:07 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

thought this was going to be easy!

Started by cleanqueen, April 18, 2011, 12:07:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cleanqueen

I have two wood chairs with arms with an upholstered seat.  I'm trying to reupholster them.  They are notched out in the front and back for the arms and the seat is curved alot in the front.  I can't get the fabric to go around these curves and lay flat.  It's a medium weight sort of a corduroy feel upholstery fabric.  Any suggestions or tips?

kiwistuffer

Quote from: cleanqueen on April 18, 2011, 12:07:39 pm
I have two wood chairs with arms with an upholstered seat.  I'm trying to reupholster them.  They are notched out in the front and back for the arms and the seat is curved alot in the front.  I can't get the fabric to go around these curves and lay flat.  It's a medium weight sort of a corduroy feel upholstery fabric.  Any suggestions or tips?

Difficult without a photo but generally mark center on fabric and chair, then temporary tack front and rear center,make cuts to go around arms and temp tack ,then work to back of seat and cut around back upright,temp tack into place then go back to center tacks and tighten fabric front and rear then work around as normal tacking into place .

cleanqueen

The cushion screws into the frame so I removed the cushion and stripped it.  Yes I know all what you mentioned but around the curves I can't get it to lay flat.  Do I steam the fabric?

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

cleanqueen

April 19, 2011, 03:57:04 am #4 Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 04:20:34 am by cleanqueen
It's not boxed.  It's a 3 inch piece of foam covered with fabric and welt cord and it screws into the frame of the chair.  It's a drop in seat.

MinUph

As it is a tight seat you are probably having trouble with the front curved section. You need to pull this down real tight and work out the wrinkles from the center out. There will be a pleat needed in the front corners. If there is a pattern it will run off but this is not avoidable. You will not be able to remove the wrinkles in the curved section unless you pull the fabric really tight. Pin the center of the front. stretch each front corner then working from center work the wrinkles out. One staple at a time left side, then right side, the left, then right etc.
 All this is done after the back and sides are pinned in place very close to finished. This keeps the fabric in place.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

cleanqueen

Thanks for your help. The fabric originally on there had no pleats.  I wonder if they didn't steam the fabric  to shrink it at the curves to get it to lay flat without having to put in pleats?

MinUph

April 19, 2011, 05:37:51 am #7 Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 05:42:24 am by MinUph
is it possible to see a picture of this? By pleats I mean just in the corners. Either a folded pleat or a kiss pleat not very big and hardly seen.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website