Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 04, 2024, 02:55:02 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How Do I Backstitch with a Singer 107w1?

Started by Mariner, April 02, 2011, 07:14:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mariner

April 02, 2011, 07:14:55 am Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 07:18:09 am by Mariner
I'm finally getting my Singer 107 underway, but I'm having a tough time figuring out how to backstitch.

Does anyone know how to it with this machine?

Larger Photo here: http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo128/master_mariner/singer107w1.jpg

bobbin

Does the machine have reverse? (doesn't look like it to me)

You can:
1.)  turn the work around and "back track"
2.)  stop stitching, lift the presser foot and restitch from the beginning continuing to the end of the seam and repeat the same procedure.
3.)  you could gently apply pressure to the knee lifter/foot lifter while you are still stitching and when the pressure is off the work gently pull the work toward you.  You pull the work toward you as a substitute for the reverse feature. 

When you apply pressure to the knee/foot lift you automatically loosen the tension on the needle thread.  This allows you pull the work toward you.  If you do it gently you won't put pressure on the needle (causing it to break or burr) and you will effectively get the machine to "tack" for the number of stitches you desire. 

I'm showing my age.  I worked with many "old time" stitchers who never had reverse on their machines, and this was the trick to "making rate" in a commercial manufacturing setting.  I mastered it with my Singer 31-15 and I use it regularly on the Consew 255RB2 I usually operate at work.  It's much quicker than reaching for the reverse lever.  My boss nearly had a fit when I was observed doing it the first time, convinced that the machine would be destroyed on the spot, lol (the fact that it would never be oiled if not for me couldn't have effect, though, could it?).  Not sure how well the technique would work with a zig-zag... they're "touchy" even on a good day!

Mariner

Thanks. The thought that is may not have a reverse mode never occurred to me.

I appreciate the tips you mentioned. I'll give them a try.

So I wasn't going crazy after all :)

bobbin

What does the knob on the round housing to the right of the needle do?

kodydog

When I get to the end of the seam I'll lift up the foot pull the work toward me 3 or 4 stitches and resew. If I want a really secure back stitch I'll put in several stitches while I'm pulling the work toward me.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike8560

I do the same as kkdydog with my siinger 111w
Good to hear from you mariner ythought you were lost

Mariner

They guys. You really helped me get through this one. 

I'm finding that using an older machine like this requires a new skill set compared to the Juki 1541 with a servo motor.

Hey Mike. Nice to hear from you too. I'm still around, taking on some projects with a couple of machines I acquired.

Sorry about the delay in coming back to this thread. I'll reset the instant reply feature because somehow got turned off.